Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer to new regiment

Jonathan D'Hooghe

My great uncle, Jack D'Hooghe, enlisted in 1914 according to his papers as a "Hussar of the line". His brother was in the 20th Hussars so I assume Jack was probably in the 20th too. However, when Jack was killed in July 1916 he was serving with 7th Suffolks. Would it be recorded somewhere when he transferred and why? Any pointers would be appreciated.

J

My great uncle, Jack D'Hooghe, enlisted in 1914 according to his papers as a "Hussar of the line". His brother was in the 20th Hussars so I assume Jack was probably in the 20th too. However, when Jack was killed in July 1916 he was serving with 7th Suffolks. Would it be recorded somewhere when he transferred and why? Any pointers would be appreciated.

J

Here is his MIC

Cant find his service records they may be amongst those which are called the burnt papers, i.e those which were damaged in WW2. Ancestry is a good place to look and they are offering a free look up this month, if you are not already a member?

Nigel

>><<Would it be recorded somewhere when he transferred and why? Any pointers would be appreciated.

J

Jonathan

His medal card ( National Archives | Campaign Medals or free on Ancestry | WW1 Medal Rolls Index Cards (Army)) may give some indications of the battalions in which he served.

If he was an battalion level (Lt-Col or below) officer, you will probably find reference to him leaving / joining battalions in the battalion war diaries (at the National Archives, unless the battalions in which you are interested just happen to be available in their Documents online section). I have managed to do so in respect of my GF (a 2nd Lt > T/Capt > Lt) in all cases apart from his original joining the 14th Y&L just before 1/7/16.

If he was an OR, you may find something in his service records (if they are on Ancestry (Ancestry | WWI Service Records) - you may be unlucky in that your G Uncle's papers may have got destroyed in the WW2 blitz.)

As to the why, I think you will have to see if the War Diaries give any clues such as a battalion being disbanded etc. He may have enlisted into a reserve UK-based battalion, from which soldiers would expect to be pasted as required.

HTH - others may give other pointers

David

Thank you for the news about Ancestry - I will sign up.

J

Thank you for the news about Ancestry - I will sign up.

J

J

I believe in November access to Medal Rolls and Service Records is free - no sign-up required (not even trial).

You may chose to sign up to check records like the 1901 census etc.

David

Hi, I have medal rolls but no service records which I am led to believe may have been destroyed in WW2. My main query is to try and understand when and why he left the Hussars and found himself as a private in 1st bn the Suffolks and then a lance corporal in 7th Suffolks when he died. The Suffolk regimental historian provided me with that info and an account of the battle at Ovillers on 3.7.16 when he died. Given that he joined the Hussars with his brother in Sept 1914 - why would he decide to join the PBI!!

J

Hi

My wife's grandfather enlisted in the 20th Hussars Reserve Cavalry Regiment in late 1915. He was transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers 13th Battalion and then 26th NF (3rd Tyneside Irish) and finally the Durham Light Infantry. Unfortunately his service records were destroyed so no further information. Around 300 Hussars were sent to the NF and DLI in early 1917 presumably to replace casualties of war. His MIC only shows the Northumberland Fusiliers and DLI but his demobilisation form refers to his original enlistment in the Hussars.

Rogerh

Given that he joined the Hussars with his brother in Sept 1914 - why would he decide to join the PBI!!

There might be all number of reasons, amongst the most likely being to replace casualties or there was a chance for advancement.

I believe there was a thinning-out of cavalry personnel. A relative was a 20th Hussar at the outbreak of war and found himself in the Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry) in 1916.

D

My wife's grandfather enlisted in the 20th Hussars Reserve Cavalry Regiment in late 1915. He was transferred to the Northumberland Fusiliers 13th Battalion and then 26th NF (3rd Tyneside Irish) and finally the Durham Light Infantry. Unfortunately his service records were destroyed so no further information'

What was his name Roger?

Jonathan

A number of Hussars transferred to the Suffolks c. 1915 - it would be on his service papers if they survived but only on his MIC if he served overseas with both units (always exceptions by the way!)

Hi Patrick

He was Private 34378 Harry Crawshaw of the NF and 78158 of the DLI. His NF number on his MIC is 24378 but on perusal it looks like a 3 rather than a 2. The 34378 number also fits in with three other Hussars identified by Graham in another post on the subject of Hussars transferring to North East Regiments. You may recall being very helpful to me when I was trying to identify his uniform from WW1 photographs.

Best wishes

Roger

Roger

Harry Crawshaw ! I remember the name - sorry I should have kept a better record but I seem not to have done (a bit lapse of me!). I think you may have sent me his photo - now, where did I file it??? B)

34378 would put him squarely in a group of transferred Hussars

Patrick