Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

B/2nd Battalion TANK CORPS

17tankman

Hi I want to do some research on this battalion but can not find the War Diaries at NA.

Has anybody found them their and could they tell me the WO reference number.

This is the last batt I have not researched yet as putting a list of all the tank corps Officers and soldiers I can find from papers at the NA.

Thks

17TankMan

I think this will be it:

WO 95/113 5 Brigade Tank Corps: 2 Battalion Tank Corps 1917 May - 1919 Mar.

Steve.

• 3 years later...

Hello 17tankman

I dicovered your thread while I was searching for information re 2nd Bn Tank Corps a relative killed in WW1.

Firstly I was wondering if you have finished your research?

My Relative was a 2nd Lt. William Robert Hedges MC, 2nd. Bn. Tanks Corps, who died aged 21 on Wednesday 18th September 1918 - todate I have found his Commonwealth War Graves Commission information and his Citation for his MC.

Being Australian I understand our search system and have recently started on the UK - i'm a bit lost at present.

I was wondering if you came across any information in the official war diaries?

I will continue to monitor your thread -

Regards

Campbell

Hi Campbell.

2nd Lt William ,Robert,Hedges. 2nd Bn.Awarded the M.C.

On Aug 8th this officershowed very great gallantry in action near Viller-Bretonneux.In order to make sure that his tank was not ditched,owing to the driver being unable to see in tghe fog,he personally led his tank,keeping up to within about 100 yards of the barrage of high explosive shell.

On the 9th when attacking in the neighbourhood of Harbonnieres, he noticed heavy machine-gun fire comming from his left flank near Vauvillers,which was cousing casualties to our infantry.He immediately made off in that direction,but in avoiding a collisionwith another tank, and through no fault of his own, his tank became ditched. He was then about 400 yards from the hostile machine-gun. He immediatelygot out two of his own crew and formed a strong point in front of the tank to keep up a harassing fire to the front, while he and the remainder of his crew endeavoured th fix the unditching gear.Owing to the severity of the enemies fire and to the fact that on three separate occasions he was bombed by aeroplanes, this took some little time.

This gear was eventually fixed, and ha had just got inside his tank with the other members of the crew to start up the engine when the whole tankseemed to burst in flames.He ordered evacuation, but owing to the angle at which the tank waslying this took some few moments.He left the tank last,being burnt about the head, face,and left hand.

By this time the infantry had proceeded well ahead, and this officer reported with his crew and two Hotchkiss guns to his section commander nearby for further orders. This officer, during both days' operations showed the greatest determination, andset a wonderful example to his men, not withstanding the fact that he went into action the second day more or less exhausted, having been trekking, fighting. orworking on his tank for thirty-six hours previous.

Hope this info is good for you. Best Regards Andy

Hi Campbell.

2nd Lt William ,Robert,Hedges. 2nd Bn.Awarded the M.C.

On Aug 8th this officershowed very great gallantry in action near Viller-Bretonneux.In order to make sure that his tank was not ditched,owing to the driver being unable to see in tghe fog,he personally led his tank,keeping up to within about 100 yards of the barrage of high explosive shell.

On the 9th when attacking in the neighbourhood of Harbonnieres, he noticed heavy machine-gun fire comming from his left flank near Vauvillers,which was cousing casualties to our infantry.He immediately made off in that direction,but in avoiding a collisionwith another tank, and through no fault of his own, his tank became ditched. He was then about 400 yards from the hostile machine-gun. He immediatelygot out two of his own crew and formed a strong point in front of the tank to keep up a harassing fire to the front, while he and the remainder of his crew endeavoured th fix the unditching gear.Owing to the severity of the enemies fire and to the fact that on three separate occasions he was bombed by aeroplanes, this took some little time.

This gear was eventually fixed, and ha had just got inside his tank with the other members of the crew to start up the engine when the whole tankseemed to burst in flames.He ordered evacuation, but owing to the angle at which the tank waslying this took some few moments.He left the tank last,being burnt about the head, face,and left hand.

By this time the infantry had proceeded well ahead, and this officer reported with his crew and two Hotchkiss guns to his section commander nearby for further orders. This officer, during both days' operations showed the greatest determination, andset a wonderful example to his men, not withstanding the fact that he went into action the second day more or less exhausted, having been trekking, fighting. orworking on his tank for thirty-six hours previous.

Hope this info is good for you. Best Regards Andy

Thank You Andy this is new to me.

I am amazed that 2/Lt Hedges was at the cutting edge of these new inventions - Tanks and at the wrong end of Planes!

I appreciate your time and effort.

Your friend in Australia

Campbell

Is it possible to Find WR Hedges Tank (name or number?) and the Crew which served along side him?

• 1 year later...
Guest nicklaister

Good morning,

This is the first time I have tried something like this and really have no idea what I am doing but here goes....

I am trying to find some information on my grandfather who served in the 2nd battalion the tank corps from 1917. We believe he was in the green Howard's prior to this. I have pulled his medal card from the national archives and I have contacted the museum at bovington who have a photo album with 72 photos that he took whilst in service and then donated to them in the 70's when he died but I really know nothing of where he was and what he did (except that he was in France). His name was 2nd lieutenant Horace Septimus Laister.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Nick Laister

Horace Laister

Entered France in Mar 1918

Married at York in the spring of the same year

Appointed Tank Engr on 1 Oct 1918.

Last service address is HQ 26 Provisional Bde in Dundalk

From 1930s living at Redcar.