Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attacks on ships

Gibeltarik

Hi there

Some questions please about attacks on shipping during the Great War: -

I have seen that the Innistrahull - an RFA Water carrier - is reported as a war loss in the Ministry of Shipping Service List on 'Admiralty Service'. No date or location is shown. She appears to still be in the Lloyds List for 1930. Plainly both can't be correct. Were there two ships with the same name? Can anyone advise please?

RFA tanker Fernleaf apparently was involved in a collision at Invergordon on the 10 January 1918. Can anyone please advise me with what she was in collision with?

RFA Sprucol was apparently damaged by enemy action on the 10 July 1918. Would someone please advise what action caused the damage please and where this occured please?

RFA Industry was apparently torpedoed on the 18 October 1918 - did she sink or did she make port? Also who or what fired the torpedo?

Your assistance would be very much appreciated.

Yours aye

Gibeltarik

Gibeltarik,

Sprucol -- not listed in British Vessel Lost at Sea 1914-1918's listing of Merchant ships attack or in teh ship's damaged section of Lloyd's War Losses: The First World War.

Innistrahull -- Miramar lists only one ship by that name, a 238 grt steamer built in 1913 that was "lost 1916, detail unknown."

Industry -- I have her as being torpedoed by UB 94 near the Strangford Light Buoy.

Best wishes,

Michael

SPRUCOL

was torpedoed by UB 110 on 10.07.1918, 22:05h, but reached the Humber

INDUSTRY

UB 94 actually claimed to have attacked an convoy of 3 steamers in the South Rock LV area on 18.10.1918 at 23:15h, which must have been S/S HUNSDON, RFA INDUSTRY and HMT PERSIAN EMPIRE. The steamer hit therefore must have been HUNSDON which was sunk by the torpedo.

The INDUSTRY was torpedoed afterwards at 23:55h, 4 survivors rescued by PERSIAN EMPIRE (so I'm not sure if this vessel really was salved) --> attacker could have been UB 92, but that boat didn't return from patrol, so no one will know for sure.

Oliver

UB 92 did return from patrol, but as Spindler notes, the KTB (war diary) for this patrol didn't survive. Not sure whether her logs survive at BAMA, the odds would probably be against it, but you never know.

I should have thought of his earlier -- RFA ships are a problem, as they sometimes don't show up in the usual sources when sunk or damaged. The reason Sprucol doesn't show up in Lloyd's War Losses or BVLAS is that she was newly built and never really a merchant ship, at least in the convential sense of the term. Fürbringer, the CO of UB 110, is known to have claimed three ships with only one commonly attributed success, so the Sprucol/UB 110 attibution makes sense.

Hepper lists Industry as sunk, so it's just a matter of which U-boat got which ship. This vessel was apparently built in 1901, and if Hepper is at all consisent in his usage, appears to always have been Admiralty owned, which ties into the above.

Best wishes,

Michael

UB 92 did return from patrol, but as Spindler notes, the KTB (war diary) for this patrol didn't survive. Not sure whether her logs survive at BAMA, the odds would probably be against it, but you never know.

Aahhh, sorry for that mistake, you are right, :rolleyes: there's just nothing detailed known from her patrol, I was not able to find anything on her movements so far <_<

Hepper lists Industry as sunk, so it's just a matter of which U-boat got which ship.

UB 94 claimed to have attacked 3 steamers (ships) and sunk one, from the british perspective the chain of events was: HUNSDON torpedoed first, than INDUSTRY, so I'm sure UB 94 was responsible for HUNSDON.

Oliver