Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham Yardley Cemetery

AlanCurragh

I'm hoping to find a grave in Birmingham Yardley Cemetery next weekend. From this thread -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...showtopic=95181

I've found a photograph of the memorial, but I believe that the chap I am looking for is buried, in plot B21230. The CWGC website states this

"Birmingham (Yardley) Cemetery contains 262 First World War burials, 62 of which form a war graves plot. Screen Walls commemorate those buried in the plot and in graves elsewhere in the cemetery not marked by headstones."

Does anyone know if B21230 might be part of the plot, or whether it could be anywhere in what looks like quite a large cemetery? My experience of finding individual graves in British cemeteries is not good!

Thanks

Alan

Unfortunately I don't live in Brum any more but I know Yardley Cemetery well (most of my family are buried or have their ashes scattered there). From looking at the cemetery report on the CWGC website I would think that this is a burial in area 'B' of the cemetery, not in the small CWGC plot and remembrance wall near the main entrance. The administrative staff are very helpful in my experience. Contact details:

Tel: 0121 708 1831 or 0121 708 2183

Fax: 0121 706 9142

e-mail: yardleycem&crem@birmingham.gov.uk

One of our casualties is buried in Yardley, and we found it quite a job to discover his grave. It's a huge cemetery, and casualty graves can be scattered about within it. (We went on impulse, so hadn't enquired beforehand)

Many of the graves have little reference numbers on the stonework somewhere, maybe on a footkerb or behind the headstone. That's how we located ours in the end, by following the numbers, which went sequentially in long rows.

Hope that helps too :)

The cemetery is laid out in (very) roughly chronological plots. Victorian era near the front gates, then going nearer to us in time as you go deeper into the cemetery. My grandfather, died 1956, is way inside, almost at the far end. Most of the WW1 era graves are on the right hand side as you enter, before and parallel to the crematorium chapel. But that is a big space and the CWGC graves are well scattered. Best ask beforehand as mentioned above.