Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The King's (Liverpool Regiment) B Coy 2nd/7th Bn.

Dave Y

Hi all

In July this year I visited my uncles grave in France and since then have been plagued by questions that you must see over and over again. When and where did he join The King's? When did he go to France and if at all possible what were the circumstances of his death, was he killed outright or did he die of wounds at a later date to the action?

I really would be grateful for any information as this could help with other family research

The details below are about all I know of him

Name: Yates

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Rank: Lance Corporal (but shown as Private on CWGC website)

Regiment/Service: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit : B Coy 2nd/7th Bn.

Date of Death: 16/07/1917

Service No: 267683

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 10.

Cemetery: ESTAIRES COMMUNAL CEMETERY AND EXTENSION

Supplementary notes

Mother Jane Yates, father Henry, living in Burscough, nr Ormskirk, Lancs

My thanks in anticipation

Dave Y

Dave,

He enlisted in Ormskirk on 6/3/16. Unfortuntely it is difficult to tie down exactly when he was wounded as the Bn was taking casualties on a daily basis immediately prior to his death. However as he is not interred in one of the main Hospital cemeteries it is likely that he was wounded in the days leading up to his death.

Promenade

post-30902-1226780445.jpg

His MIC doesn't show a theatre of war or entry therein.

Ellie

Dave,

At 2.20am on the morning of 16/07/1917 the Germans opened a bombardment that lasted until about 2.35am they then raided the Left Sector of the King’s positions but were driven off. 2/7th King’s captured one of the raiders and they left “4 dead Bosche”.

2/7th casualties 2 O.R. killed, 2 O.R. missing, 26 wounded, 2 Officers wounded, 2 Officers wounded (at duty) slight.

It seems your Uncle was killed in the raid.

Paul.

Dave,

Reading on I find that your Uncle was one of the wounded he died a little later before the War Diary entry at 9.00am Sgt Smith also died of his wounds at about the same time.

Paul.

post-1138-1226783031.jpg

Dave,

He enlisted in Ormskirk on 6/3/16. Unfortuntely it is difficult to tie down exactly when he was wounded as the Bn was taking casualties on a daily basis immediately prior to his death. However as he is not interred in one of the main Hospital cemeteries it is likely that he was wounded in the days leading up to his death.

Promenade

Dear Dave.

Firstly, welcome to the Forum......which is highly addictive.

Secondly, it makes a refreshing change to see someone saying thanks.(I just wish I could have helped, but there are so many more knowledgeable Pals here)

Bruce