Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th (Blackburn) Battery CCX Brigade RFA

valnick@btinternet.com

Could some-one please tell me if I am on the correct lines with my research?

I do not have my grandpa's military number but I did/do have a photo. I have attached this. It says on the bottom 4th Battery RFA.

I know that he and his family lived in Blackburn at this time. Am I safe to assume, therefore, that he was in 1/4th (Blackburn/Lancashire) Battery RFA, 1st Lancashire Brigade??

Did this then become A battery CCX Brigade which was broken up 26/12/1916? A Battery was, I think, then allocated to the existing B and C Batteries which became the new A and B Batteries (not easy for a novice this stuff!) Is it possible to find out, if he was in A Battery, which of the new ones he went into? Would this matter terribly in terms of his war as I assume that as part of the same Brigade they were, essentially in the same place - is that correct?

If I am correct in all this, how do I now find out the details of his war?

post-40343-1226757580.jpg

Val, would you care to give us on the Forum your grandfather's name?

Noel

Val, would you care to give us on the Forum your grandfather's name?

Noel

His name was Fred Clayton. Does this help??

Unfortunately, the MiCs on Ancestry show that there were a number of Fred and Frederick Claytons who served overseas with the RFA, but no surviving service or pension records. So, no joy there.

Noel

Hi Val

I have sent you a PM re your query to me re the 330th Brigade RFA. Can you please clarify how you think Fred Clayton was in the 330th Brigade. Its best to get that issue resolved before procedding any further. Do you have any documentation at all which may give us some clues, I for example had my Great Grandfathers pay book which helped a lot, so anything you or your family may have may help us put the puzzle together.

cheers Aaron.