Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

175 Brigade August/September 1916

Guest geoffw1955

Guest geoffw1955

I am researching the whereabouts of the 175 Brigade (specifically the 2/9 County of London Bn Territorial Force (Queen Victoria's Rifles)) during the Third Battle of Ypres. I am about to visit the PRO, but my previous experiences with a relative killed in the Third Battle of Kritiha don't lead me to hold out much hope (the Battalion diary for that period doesn't exist!!).

A relative of a friend of mine was kiled in late September, shortly after the 58th Division had been transferred to the control of XVIII Corps, 5th Army. We are trying to find out, ideally, what the Battalion was doing during this period. A quick glance at the PRO on-line index doesn't show that War Diary for the Brigade during that period - but I will check on Saturday 8 February.

Does anyone have any knowledge, pointers or access to information that covers this period for the above - just about the time that the Battle for Polygon Wood started?

Thanks in anticipation

Hello Geoff.

175th war diary is about at the PRO.

My great-grandad was in the 58th division,173rd brigade,with 214th MGC.

The 58th division records that cover the period from August 1917 to July 1918,i believe,are in WO/95 2987 to 2989.

I can't remember exactly the reference number for the 175th Brigade,but can tell you the reference for the 173rd Brigade is WO/95 3001.

The 175th diaries come after the 173rd's.

A good book to get hold of is The Day to Day Account of 3rd Ypres by Chris Mcarthy which should be available at your local Library,and explains some of the divisions movements in the St Julien/Poelcapple area.

The trench maps are also very clear and i have been able to find some of the trenches that my great-grandad served in.

The division arrived in the salient on the 29th of August 1917 and on the 4th of September a 175th Brigade patrol occupied Spot Farm.

The division was in action at The Battle of The Menin Road Ridge on Sept 20th 1917 and had support roles in the Battle of Polygon wood and the final assault on Passchedaele village on November the 9th/10th and 11th.

They were in the area for quite some time,before moving to the Somme in January of 1918.

If you have access to a computer,go to the PRO-CAT website at www.pro.gov.uk.

It has a search facility and if you type in the above numbers,you should be able to check to see where the diary is.

Good luck in your search and i look forward to hearing from you in the future,being another 58th Division man.

Regards.

Simon Furnell.

On 26 September 175 Brigade were holding a line east of St Julien. 2/9 Londons and one Company of 2/12 Londons attacked at 5.50am. They lost direction in thick mist and came under fire from Dom Trench and a pill box called Cairo. Both fell to the attackers but they were halted 1/4 mile from their objective but held a line from Dear House to Vale House through Aviatik Farm. A German counter attack forced troops out of Aviatik Farm and Dear House. Elements of 175 Brigade counter attacked but failed to re-capture these positions. (Source: Passchendaele The Day by Day Account - Chris McCarthy.)

The War Diary of 2/9 Londons can be found in WO95/3009

• 4 weeks later...

Geoff

I have a copy of the 1st/2nd Bn History and also know from personal experience that most of the QVR recorded at Tyne Cot were from the 2nd Bn.. If you want to give me some more detail - I can look it up for you.

Best of luck

Andy