Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Uniform

Acorna

Hello All

First may I thank the staff for providing this form which looks like it may provide invaluable help. Also thank you in advance if you are able to help me.

I have a photo of my wifes Grandfather taken at his wedding 25th Dec 1917. It is a very small photo and I have attached the best image I can get from it.

Can anyone identify the uniform he is wearing? And possibly give me any info on where I might find more about his military record.

His name was Frank Vidler born 1891 Pancras London. The wedding was 1917 in Newton Abbot, Devon.

Regards

Ray

post-40675-1226652163.jpg

Hi Ray.

There's a Frank J Vidler Pte 3471 & G/41187 9th Middlesex Regiment.

There's a few more possibles,did he have a middle name.

Post any detail however insignificant you might think it.The smallest detail can help narrow it down.

Adresses,mother and fathers name etc.

Cheers Mike

He seems to have Black buttons. I think he might be in a Rifle Regiment. That would also explain why it is so hard to see his capbadge, possibly.

Regards,

Stewart

Thank you gentlemen

Franks Parents were Sidney & Sarah. His wife was Ivy Louise Wellington. Frank died 1951 Newton Abbot.

Sidney was in the Army Hospital Corps until the 1870's as was his Father in Law John Carter. They were based in Alverstoke, Hants.

Franks last known address before this photo was 35 Bidborough St. St Pancras, London in 1901 Census.

Could he have followed family into Army Hospital Corps?

Regards

Ray

Since he was married in uniform in 1917, it is likely that his unit will be mentioned on his marriage certificate, unless the registrar was being VERY lazy.

Steve.

I believe that an Absent Voters List (1918) still exists for St. Pancras, may be worth tracking it down,

Jon

I've contacted Camden Council to try to trace this.

Thank you for the lead.

Ray

Just discovered that Frank didn't move back to London till after 1919 so the AVL will not help. :(

If anyone else can help identifying the uniform I would be grateful.

Regards

Ray

That's the point of the Absent Voters List. They were away at war !

He was living in Newton Abbot at that time so would have been Absent from there, not London.

Ray