Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 service

Guest pippi.reyno

Guest pippi.reyno

I know that my Grandfather served in France during WW1 as a Cook, my older sister remembered seeing a photo in a locket of him in army uniform.

He did survive the war and lived into his 70's.

His name was Thomas Holden born 1882 in Pendleton, Salford, and his parents were Thomas Holden b.1837 Cumberland and Rose Anne (late Smith formerly Joyce) b.1841 Co.Kildare, Ireland.

The family were RC and moved to Halliwell, Bolton, Lancs. about 1885.

He married in 1905 to Eleanor Smith b.1885, they had 4 children, the first two died, my father Thomas was born 1911 and his brother Frederick 1913.

I do not know anything more about his WW1 service. I live too far away to visit the PRO, and cannot afford to pay Professional Researchers.

I know some basic facts such as the burnt records, and records are only available at the PRO and so forth.

Please can anyone offer any advise or help on how to find out more about his service.

I don't think there is a need to pay a professional researcher. I am sure someone will look him up on the medal index cards for you. That will only narrow it down to all of the Thomas Holdens admittedly. Howver, that can lead to entries in the medal rolls. It would be more time consuming to search through the remaining records, but it can be done.

I do not know when I will next return to the PRO, but if no-one else has looked in the MIC for you, I will.

Rob

Guest pippi.reyno

I would reply appreciate that, at least it may provide his rank, number and regiment.

Would it give any other information such as age, address and family etc.?

Thank you very much for your reply to my posting.

Anouska

Anouska,

Age, family, address would have to come from the service records, if you were that lucky. The MIC would give rank, number, name, regiment(s), medals awarded and theatre and date of landing if awarded either of the two stars.

Rob

Guest pippi.reyno

Rob,

Ah! I think I see the problem.

Am I right in thinking there would be no way of narrowing it down to which was the right Thomas Holden?

If that is right and there were hundreds of Thomas Holdens, then it would mean having to check every record for the right details?

And is it possible that he may be one of the burnt records, and no record available?

Anouska