Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Light Infantry

Tilly

Joseph Thompson Parr b1983

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find out my Grandfather's battalion.

I am a member of Ancestry and I have his medal index card but all it tells me is he won the victory medal and YLI and his no. 28190

I've tried looking up his service record and pension records to no avail.

I know he served in France at some point 1914 - 18 He survived the war.

Not much to go on but I'm hopeful that all you experts out there might be able to help me.

Thanks very much

Tilly

Tilly

Post the details from his MIC pertaining to the issue of his medals,the jumble of letters and numbers,which can translate to an original Medal Roll in the WO329 series at Kew,and on which will be shown the Battalion of your GF.

Sotonmate

PS if you look carefully you will see that he won the British War Medal as well !

Hi there Tilly,

If I have found the correct birth for Joseph Thompson Parr,then he was born in Hamburg Germany is that correct and if so that would explain why I couldn't find him in Free BMD or even the ancestry one.

At this moment in time I cant answer your quiery on his Battalion apart from what Sotonmate as explained.

Also if it is the same Joseph Thompson Parr then there is a photo of him on ancestry.

Cheers Roger Thompson.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. The photo on Ancestry was posted by me! Joseph was born in Hamburg, Germany. (English father, German mother)

His family were from Batley, Yorkshire............ Roger, do we have a connection? He was very insistent about the 'Thompson' part of his name!

The MIC details are

ROLL PAGE

02/103b 12 1401

He told a story that he was wounded on the front (don't know where) was lying wounded when some German soldiers found him..... he convinced them he was a german spy, hence the british uniform. He was then taken to a German field hospital from where he escaped! :o

Thanks again,

Erica

Hi there Erica,

You might have noticed that ancestry have not yet got to the "P" in their digitisation of the surviving Burnt series service records, so we will all have to wait a bit longer.

I have sent you a PM earlier.

Cheers Roger.

Hi there Tilly,

I still haven't managed to tie down his Battalion yet.

Cheers Roger.