Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Cecil Harford, 9th London (Queen Victoria's Rifles)

Jongleur

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and would be very grateful for some help. I'm researching my great-uncle, Cecil Harold Harford, who was born 1888 in Dartford, Kent, and served in the 9th London (Queen Victoria's Rifles).

I've got a photo of him in uniform and have found his medal index card via Ancestry (images below)

I can't find anything else so I guess my next stop will have to be Kew, but I was just wondering if anyone has a copy of the Keeson book about the QVRs and would be kind enough to let me know if there's any useful information in there?

Any other assistance also very much appreciated! There's nobody left in my family who remembers him so I don't even know if he survived the war - I can't find him via CWGC, but neither can I find any other death record. I have his birth record, 1891 and 1901 census records and then his MIC, but no evidence of his existence postwar at all.

Many thanks,

Natasha

Cecil-Harford-ww1.jpg

cecilharfordmic.jpg

Natasha

I brought another thread to the top,there is info there for you,it too is about 9 QVR.

Sotonmate

Thanks very much Sotonmate! That'll be very useful when I get the chance to go to Kew...

Any other information would be very much appreciated - don't know if anyone has the Keeson book about the QVRs and might do me the favour of having a look?

Natasha

Natasha,

I have had a quick look through "Keeson's" book on the QVR's. I cannot find any mention of your man in the book or in the Roll of Honour or awards at the back of the book. If you know what battalion he was in I might be able to see what they where doing.

Not much help I'm afraid.

Regards

Mark

Keeson's book has little detail about other ranks. It looks like Harford arrived in a draft to bring the 1st Battalion up to strength after the heavy fighting they'd been through, including Secon Ypres where they'd earned thie forst VC. 2nd Battalion QVR hadn't gone overseas by that time. Have you tried getting Keeson's book using inter-library loan from your local library?