Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

W.Ditchman

swampyrv

Hi all, firstly, great forum, am actually looking forward to those Winter nights now!!!.

Secondly, Iam trying to locate any further info on my Grandfather.

He was born in 1899, in Edmonton, U.K, and signed up in 1914, with the Middlesex Regiment. Within the year he had been gassed twice and sent home. Later in 1915, after a spell in hospital, he was sent to the Highland Light Infantry, where he became a part of the Flying Column. He remained with the regiment until the end of the war in 1918.

I have a copy of his Medal Card, the rgtl numbers are as follows; Middlesex Regiment 4312.

Highland Light Infantry 334001.

His full name was William Ditchman, and he was a Private.

Thanks. Swampyrv.

Swampyrv

Welcome to the Forum !

Does the Medal Card have a Date into Theatre and a Theatre Code ?

Also,is there a second smaller number for the HLI ? The number you quote fits in with the 8th HLI from 1917 when the TF was re-numbered.

If you can also post the letters and numbers against the medal issue it will help to trace which Bn of the Middx,and then we can fit a Bn to that,and then a Brigade and Division,and then where he fought.

Sotonmate

Swampyrv

Welcome to the Forum !

Does the Medal Card have a Date into Theatre and a Theatre Code ?

Also,is there a second smaller number for the HLI ? The number you quote fits in with the 8th HLI from 1917 when the TF was re-numbered.

If you can also post the letters and numbers against the medal issue it will help to trace which Bn of the Middx,and then we can fit a Bn to that,and then a Brigade and Division,and then where he fought.

Sotonmate

Thanks for the welcome, and the prompt response.

O.k, next to column marked medal, is a column marked, roll, under this reads as follows; D/104B28, the next column is headed page and under this reads; 2910. This is for the Victory Medal.

In both of the British medal boxes reads, I think; do.

These are all handwritten. Hope this helps.

Thanks again.

Swampyrv

S

The Date into Theatre box is nearby does it have a date in it ?

Sotonmate

Swampy

I have a copy of the Medal Roll from WO329/1641. If you would like it please PM me your e-mail address.

Sotonmate