Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help required for info about charles marking smith no.375845.

Hi. Charles was my grand father. he enlisted 16th sept 1916 age 17. was wouned 3rd sept 1919 sometime after fighting in the battle for albert. any info about where the battalion was and what they were doing would be great.

thanks

steve.

ps i'm a new member so be gentle with me.

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum,

His number puts him with the 1/8th Bn or 2/8th Bn (Post Office Rifles) although I can't say which one, they served with different divisions until the 1/8th Bn absorbed the 2/8th Bn in the 58th (2/1st London) Division on 2nd February 1918.

Are you mistaken about his date of wounding?

Jon

hi jon,

many thanks for the info. I'm sorry for the wrong date, it should have been 3rd sept 1918. i think i must have confused it with his discharge date 28th march 1919.

Hi Steve,

ignore my first post, my dates are somewhat askew. I've just had a look at Charles' MIC on ancestry and I would say that he was with the 1/7th Bn at the time he was wounded. The 58th (2/1st London) Division were I believe fighting around Bouchavesnes, Rancourt and Fregicourt which is part of the Second Battle of Bapaume. The battalion war diary for September 1918 is available to download from the NA here which may give a precise location for the 3rd September.

I also note that Charles was awarded a Silver War Badge, most likely for the wounds he recieved on this date,

Jon

]

Hi Jon,

thanks for the new info.

must say that i find it a bit confusing with all that 1/7th, 58th and 2/1st thing. I'm a bit new to all this battalion stuff.

many thanks again for your help Jon. I'll give the NA download ago and keep you posted.

What a great site this is.

Cheers Steve.