Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding Details of my Grand-Uncle

IrishSearcher

Hello there,

Along with other members of my family, I have spent a long time trying to find information about my Grand-Uncle who was killed in the First World War. A medal and a telegram that had been sent to the family at the time have gone missing, along with letters written home.

We were at a loss for information until an older member recalled that the young mans surname had been incorrectly spelt on official letters sent home and also that he had served with the Royal Munster Fusiliers.

I did a search last night and found details of a person with the incorrectly spelt name, belonging to the Royal Munster Fusiliers. Unfortunately I was only able to find a medal card for this person but no service record. The service records appear to show name of the next of kin which would help greatly.

The details of the soldier i think MIGHT be my grand-uncle are as follows:

Name: Peter Farley (correct spelling is Farrelly if this is him)

Regiment: Royal Munster Fusiliers

Regiment Number: 3440

Could anyone giude me as to where I could get the service record for this man to see if this is indeed my grand-uncle.

Kind Regards,

Welcome to the forum IrishSearcher,

Pte. 3440 Peter Farley, 9th Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers. Born Graston, Lancashire. Enlisted and a resident of Liverpool. Killed in action 28th March 1916 and remembered on the Loos Memorial.

I can't find his service papers on ancestry, they could be part of the 66% that were destroyed during the Blitz of 1940. Here is his MIC, note the BW and Victory medals were returned for adjustment, more than likely for the name correction,

Jon

post-15439-1226400818.jpg

Jon,

Thank you very much for coming back to me so quickly.

You have achieved considerably more information than I have. Unfortunately, this is not my grand-uncle.

His address would have been Kilduff Cross, Shercock, Co Cavan, Ireland.

To say that this has knocked the wind from my sails is an understatement. I honestly thought I had, at last, found this young lad.

Jon, you are very kind for coming back to me so quickly.

Thank you very much.

Welcome to the forum IrishSearcher,

Pte. 3440 Peter Farley, 9th Bn Royal Munster Fusiliers. Born Graston, Lancashire. Enlisted and a resident of Liverpool. Killed in action 28th March 1916 and remembered on the Loos Memorial.

I can't find his service papers on ancestry, they could be part of the 66% that were destroyed during the Blitz of 1940. Here is his MIC, note the BW and Victory medals were returned for adjustment, more than likely for the name correction,

Jon

post-15439-1226400818.jpg

Places of residence are very helpful because we can look up people on the Soldiers Died CDrom using those as clues. There is only one man named Peter who gave his residence as Cavan, and that was Peter Galligan of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I'll try Shercock etc and see if that gives us anything...nope, nothing for there, nor for Kilduff Cross.

Using 'Royal Munster Fusiliers' and men named Peter, we get 22 hits, none of which come close to matching except the one Jon found for you who is not your chap.

Where was he born?

Allie

How about Pte Peter Farrell, 2237 of the Royal Irish Fusiliers? Died of wounds in F&F 26/05/1915

Born Drogheda, Co. Louth

Enlisted Drogheda

Residence [blank]

Allie

ignoring Irish geography with gay abandon

hello Irishsearcher and welcome

I think we can crack this one - you need to post everything you know - there are Munster experts on this site - I'm at the other end of the country.

How certain are you about 'The Munsters'?

There is a Peter Falvey listed but he appears to have survived the war.

Also Peter Feehely and Peter Frawley - all survived.

Chin up.

David

Allie,

Thank you for the help.

Peter would have been born at his home in Kilduff Cross. It might also be worth trying Nulla or Carn which would have been local parish names.

Thank you for your help Allie.

Colman

Places of residence are very helpful because we can look up people on the Soldiers Died CDrom using those as clues. There is only one man named Peter who gave his residence as Cavan, and that was Peter Galligan of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers. I'll try Shercock etc and see if that gives us anything...nope, nothing for there, nor for Kilduff Cross.

Using 'Royal Munster Fusiliers' and men named Peter, we get 22 hits, none of which come close to matching except the one Jon found for you who is not your chap.

Where was he born?

Allie

Hi David,

Thank you for your post.

I was wondering about the Munsters myself. The regiments that young lads joined in the Cavan / Monaghan area was either the Royal Irish Rifles, Royal Inniskillen Fusiliers or the Dublin Fusiliers. But the family member that mentioned the Munsters to me was certain that it was indeed the Munsters our relative had joined.

So what do I know about Peter.

1. He came from Kilduff Cross, Co Cavan.

2. He had joined up despite being under age.

3. The letter announcing his death came to my grandfathers home at Crowey, Silverstream, Monaghan. My grandfathers name was Thomas Farrelly. So this would identify him as the "next of kin".

4. We had been told that Peter had been killed towards the end of the war.

5. We were told that his body had never been recovered.

6. At least one medal had been received by the family at Crowey. This has gone missing.

7. The Farrelly name on the official documents received had not been spelt correctly.

David, as you can see, the information I have does not amount to a lot. A lot has been lost over the generations. I will be going north again over the next few weeks to see what else I can turn up.

But any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Colman

hello Irishsearcher and welcome

I think we can crack this one - you need to post everything you know - there are Munster experts on this site - I'm at the other end of the country.

How certain are you about 'The Munsters'?

There is a Peter Falvey listed but he appears to have survived the war.

Also Peter Feehely and Peter Frawley - all survived.

Chin up.

David

Colman,

since Peter enlisted underage, is it possible that he used an alias, can any details from the rim of the medal be recalled?

Jon

Hi Allie,

Drogheda is too far south and is roughly 40 - 50 miles from Kilduff Cross.

Colman

How about Pte Peter Farrell, 2237 of the Royal Irish Fusiliers? Died of wounds in F&F 26/05/1915

Born Drogheda, Co. Louth

Enlisted Drogheda

Residence [blank]

Allie

ignoring Irish geography with gay abandon

Jon,

I can never remember seeing the medal in my grand-mothers house although it was there.

I have no information yet but I have more relations to speak to that may have some recollections of the medal. I hope to speak to one of these tonight.

Colman

Colman,

since Peter enlisted underage, is it possible that he used an alias, can any details from the rim of the medal be recalled?

Jon

Peter would have been born at his home in Kilduff Cross. It might also be worth trying Nulla or Carn which would have been local parish names.

Hi, Colman

There are no men listed with 'Nulla' as their place of residence. There are 150 with 'Carn' listed, but none named Peter. The F-surnames are: Falconer (x2), Fern, Forsyth, Fox and Fryers.

Putting Carn or Nulla in place of birth, I get 389 for Carn and 0 for Nulla. Only two men out of those were named Peter:

Pte Peter M HOSIE, 29846 of the Royal Scots Fusiliers. Born Carnoustie, Forfarshire. Enlisted Dundee.

Pte Peter ROBERTSON S/4092 of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). Born Carnock, Fifeshire. Enlisted Cowdenbeath, Fifeshire.

The F-surnames are Falconer (x1), Fernie, Fleming (x4) Fordyce, Forrest, Foulkes, Fowler and Fullerton.

Bear in mind that 'Carn' on the CDrom can show you entries for such places as Carnarvon, Carnforth, Carnhome, Carnwath, etc etc.

I tried entering 'Kild' in the 'Born' field as a shortened form of Kilduff Cross and found

Gunner Terence FARRELL, 20201 of the RHA/RFA who was born Kildare, Ireland and enlisted in Dublin.

The only other F-surnames were Fraser and Fergusson. Adding in 'Peter' to the seach gives us three men.

L/Cpl Peter KANE, 2819 of the Irish Guards. Born Kildoon, Co. Kildare. Enlisted Dublin, Co. Dublin.

Sergt Peter MCNEIL, 147003 of the Corps of Royal Engineers. Born Kildalton, Argyllshire. Enlisted Glasgow. Residence Islay, Argyllshire.

Pte Peter SALTER, 3882, Irish Guards. Born Kildrenagh, Co. Carlow. Enlisted Dublin, Co. Dublin.

We're not having much luck...

Allie

Hi Colman,

Are there any surviving photos of him that you could post or any badges?

Grant

• 1 month later...

Hi Grant,

I have never seen one but of course, that does not mean one does not exist.

C

Hi Colman,

Are there any surviving photos of him that you could post or any badges?

Grant

Allie,

Could you try just Cavan and Farrelly in your search and see what it throws up please?

Cavan should narrow the search down a bit.

C

Hi, Colman

There are no men listed with 'Nulla' as their place of residence. There are 150 with 'Carn' listed, but none named Peter. The F-surnames are: Falconer (x2), Fern, Forsyth, Fox and Fryers.

Putting Carn or Nulla in place of birth, I get 389 for Carn and 0 for Nulla. Only two men out of those were named Peter:

Pte Peter M HOSIE, 29846 of the Royal Scots Fusiliers. Born Carnoustie, Forfarshire. Enlisted Dundee.

Pte Peter ROBERTSON S/4092 of the Black Watch (Royal Highlanders). Born Carnock, Fifeshire. Enlisted Cowdenbeath, Fifeshire.

The F-surnames are Falconer (x1), Fernie, Fleming (x4) Fordyce, Forrest, Foulkes, Fowler and Fullerton.

Bear in mind that 'Carn' on the CDrom can show you entries for such places as Carnarvon, Carnforth, Carnhome, Carnwath, etc etc.

I tried entering 'Kild' in the 'Born' field as a shortened form of Kilduff Cross and found

Gunner Terence FARRELL, 20201 of the RHA/RFA who was born Kildare, Ireland and enlisted in Dublin.

The only other F-surnames were Fraser and Fergusson. Adding in 'Peter' to the seach gives us three men.

L/Cpl Peter KANE, 2819 of the Irish Guards. Born Kildoon, Co. Kildare. Enlisted Dublin, Co. Dublin.

Sergt Peter MCNEIL, 147003 of the Corps of Royal Engineers. Born Kildalton, Argyllshire. Enlisted Glasgow. Residence Islay, Argyllshire.

Pte Peter SALTER, 3882, Irish Guards. Born Kildrenagh, Co. Carlow. Enlisted Dublin, Co. Dublin.

We're not having much luck...

Allie

Am just thinking that there might have been a photo taken at the first training camp in Co Cork.

I'll research this after the Christmas period.

Hi Grant,

I have never seen one but of course, that does not mean one does not exist.

C

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick note to say thank you to eveyone for their contributions.

One eagle-eyed visitor to the forum spotted this post and contacted me and has provided me with all the information about my grand-uncle. And I even have a transcript of a letter he sent home from the trenches.

I want to do a bit more research about where his battalion was at the time of his death, and see what else I can discover that happened on that. Then I plan to go out to France to pay my respects at the memorial.

Thank you very much everyone.