Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Royal Fusiliers War Diaries

gmthomas

Hi,

My grandfather was in the 4th R.FUS, died 26/04/1918 and is buried at sandpits cemetery near bethune, which I have visited.

However, we have no idea as to the wheres and hows of his death.

Yesterday I purchased and downloaded the 4th R.FUS war diary for the relevant period from the national archive but, as is always the problem with buy before you see, what I received was just scans of the hand written documents which are practically unreadable. Well, £3.50 is not going to break the bank :)

So if anyone knows of, or has, a more legible copy of the diary for april 1918 that they could pass on to me I would be very grateful.

I'd also like some idea of where to go to find service records and medal rolls.

TVMIA

Glyn

Glyn

Ancestry is the best way for medal rolls and service records. At the moment the service is FREE! (Till end of this month.) Unless the war diary has been published - presevere with the handwriting, and you can scan any purely illegible bits on the forum, where you will get more help.

Hwyl

Geraint

Hi Glyn.

The Diary states for the 26th April 1918 that they were in the area of the LE BASSEE Canal, and on the 26th it quotes

one other rank wounded, Cpt.A,D Hume to hospital.Lieuts E,BROOKS and B,G,FLEET. joined. "W" Coy was relieved in left front along the west bank of the LA-BASSEE canal by "D" Coy of the 8th K.O.R.L.One platoon of "W"Coy was disposed astride the AVELETTE Bridge the other 3 platoons relieved "Z" Coy in support which took over about 500yds of front from the 13th Kings Liverpool Regt comming into line on the right of "X" Coy. I have a typed copy if you need any more please PM me.

Best Regrds Andy

Thanks Hwyl. I now have a pension record and a medal roll index for him, now trying to track down the actual medal roll.

Thanks very much Andy, thats great. I had worked out the bit about Cpt Hume but not much else, now I'll try and work out the geopgrahy.

Obviously he may not have been a casualty on the day if he died of wounds received earlier. I'll PM you about earlier dates if I may.

Glyn

Hywyn, I found him on SDGW via findmyfamily.com and it says killed in action. Presumably that means he pretty much died at the time he was hit?

Glyn

I would say that that is the general case.There are threads where this aspect is debated. Unfortunately most Diaries did not name the OR casualties (there are some exceptions) so in your case here now there is one casualty for the date given but you cannot say for sure whether he is your grandfather as he is not named. It may be advantageous to take up Andys offer of more help and see what's either side of the date (if you haven't done so already)

I take it the that the Pension Record has nothing to say about the incidents in terms of the casualty chain.

Hywyn

The Pension Record, if indeed that is what it is, seems only to be an attestation to join the territorial force in 1915 (Army form E501). But I'm sure it was found in the pension records database. Listed as 3/8 Middlesex regiment but I understand they became the 2/8 Middlesex and then disbanded in 1917.

Glyn

Yes it is a bit misleading to call them Pension records. The Long Long Trail site (button top left of this page) is a great help regarding the ins and out of what's available.

It has been found that on a number of occasions there are pages before the one they present as the first page. May be worth another look.

Hywyn

Yes, thanks for that. I hadn't realised one could page forward and back.

I now have more pages but I think I'm chasing the wrong chap. This one seems to have been discharged in 1915 as 'unlikely to make an efficient soldier'!

Who would have thought there would be two blokes with the exact same name living in the same town? Unless he was re-enlisted later?

I guess I should move this over to the forum for individuals. :)

Glyn

I now have more pages but I think I'm chasing the wrong chap. This one seems to have been discharged in 1915 as 'unlikely to make an efficient soldier'!

Who would have thought there would be two blokes with the exact same name living in the same town? Unless he was re-enlisted later?

Glyn

I think they are quite possibly one and the same, don't give up on him yet ;) . Next of Kin, wife Adelaide Horne on 'Pension' record could be the wife Mrs. A. Horne on CWGC.

Can't tie his Royal Fusiliers number (75506) down at present but it's later than 1916 so he could have re-enlisted or even been conscripted at a later date.

More digging is required.....

Regards

Steve

Damn! you guys are good. I had missed that bit.

You are right, my mother was Adelaide Rosetta Horne, named after her mother and his mother! And the form B268a gives the intended address as gladstone road, wimbledon. There must have been some moving of house within heston.

The different numbers are confusing certainly. I haven't been able to make out the reason for discharge in 1915 but I guess by later in the war they would have been more desperate for men and therefore inclined to lower their standards.

I haven't been able to make out the reason for discharge in 1915

He was "discharged in consequence of his not being likely to become an efficient soldier". I've seen a number of these where the soldier concerned didn't make the grade at the time but then went and re-enlisted into another unit. It's also possible, like you say, that the Army 'moved the goalposts' and he later became acceptable when conscription was introduced.

Regards

Steve

I found a copy of the Times for 27th April 1918 which on page 6 in its summary of the previous day states

"10:50 am Hostile atrillery has been active along our front from the Lys river to Givenchy"

Sounds a likely engagement to me.