Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Time Team Special Monday 10th Nov

salientguide

I just watched this - wow. What a great story. It still astonishes me, the things these men did, and how much we owe them. fantastic story.

(By the way Hudsons whilstle - caution with the public referrral to carrot crunchers and the experience of London FRS, you cant be operational or you would know the truth!)

He has actually been more operational than any FRS you can name.Were talking train crashes,tube incidents,airport & terrorist bus incidents,high rise fires ,squashed cyclists,car wrecks,murder/incendiary,suicidal pop stars,jumpers & basically all the stuff that you can only find in London & not the home counties.

My apologies if this was inter county banter :blush:

Dave.

Oh,and some cats in trees

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The programme has just been repeated tonight and I thought it very good.

I noticed the MSM ribbon on the chap identified as CSM Henry Hawtin so I popped off to the London Gazette for a moment or two.

14761 Cpl (A/CSM) Henry Hawtin RE was Mentioned in Despatches twice and was awarded the MSM. He was from Tralee, Co Kerry, Ireland. He also received the 1914 Star with dated clasp. Quite a war!

MID1: 15/06/1916, LG 29623 , pp 5933

MID2: 18/05/1917, LG 30077, pp 4880

MSM: 17/06/1918, LG 30750 , pp 7150

Cheers,

Nigel

Guest Jake Beach

Hi, does anyone have any pictures and/or info. on Vampire as I have to do a history project on WW1 and have chose to do a movie on Vampire. :)

• 12 years later...
On 26/05/2009 at 22:50, Nigel Marshall said:

The programme has just been repeated tonight and I thought it very good.

I noticed the MSM ribbon on the chap identified as CSM Henry Hawtin so I popped off to the London Gazette for a moment or two.

14761 Cpl (A/CSM) Henry Hawtin RE was Mentioned in Despatches twice and was awarded the MSM. He was from Tralee, Co Kerry, Ireland. He also received the 1914 Star with dated clasp. Quite a war!

MID1: 15/06/1916, LG 29623 , pp 5933

MID2: 18/05/1917, LG 30077, pp 4880

MSM: 17/06/1918, LG 30750 , pp 7150

Cheers,

Nigel

This is the second time in a week you have helped me out with my research, the last time on Twitter with the transfer date of an ASC Private to the Leeds Rifles and now this post from 2009!

Henry Hawtin was later awarded the MBE in the Second World War as a Major (QM), being finally discharged in 1947.  His elder brother A/Sjt Joseph Hawtin was KIA on the Somme with 1/Gordons in 1916 and both were Old Boys of the Duke of York's Royal Military School.

Thanks again