Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Time Team Special Monday 10th Nov

salientguide

We like to thank the team from the Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service for their help and all the work they did last weekend down in Vampir.

Kristof as a serving fire fighter myself,can you tell me how did Bucks become involved in this project,and if you have any further plans to extend any future projects please let me no as im sure the London fire brigade would be only more than happy to help out, where a bit more experienced than that lot of carrot crunchers ;)

Aww

I wish I had seen it. I always seem to miss the good stuff.

This is currently still on our DVD hard drive (amongst a whole load of other Great War stuff shown recently) that will be eventually copied to CD - I can potentially get another copy done at the same time, but I don't know how much postage to Mount Olympus would be though... ;)

Excellent programme. I always enjoy watching anything Peter Barton is involved in. He seems such a humble man, given his massive knowledge. Congrats to all involved. Well worth sitting for 90 odd minutes. It passed in a flash. Well done everyone. Simply excellent. And what Engineers.... awesome does not come anywhere near.

Susan.

I thought it was an excellent programme except for the continual references to 171 Tunnelling Company which grated. Surely they were the 171st Tunnelling Company?

Yes we are sure

vampnq1.jpg

I hope this is a answer to your question?

cheers,

Kristof

I found the programme really fascinating, even Mrs Arm watched some of it. Totally frustrated when the second 'fall in' stopped further exploration. I kept thinking surely there is some way they can go on!

Just starting to look at 178 Tunnelling company RE for my research on the mining around Fricourt in regard to 21st Divs attack here in July 1916 and there are some facsinating 'articles' inside. As Will says a side I am only just starting to learn about.

Well done to all involved. It takes a level head to temper excitement with safety to excavate these things I would be bloody useless!

Regards

Arm

Yes, I thought it a very good and interesting programme, apart from the continuous reprises from the presenter after every break. I was presently surprised at the discussions it raised in my local pub over the next 2 evenings. One or two said it may lead to them visiting Flanders next summer, not a bad thing.

One niggle though.....while 171 were rightly praised, perhaps it should have been mentioned that the Australians (Australian Electrical and Mechanical Mining and Boring Company... aka the Alphabeticals) were involved....did the initial boring and ground tests at vampir, in early January '18, and 254 Tunnellers were also involved in this dugout.

Regards, Peter

Hi John,

In response to your post no: 54....guilty! It was an amazing project to have been involved in. I joined the Vampir project during the second phase in March 2007. Another forumite who spent a lot of time and effort on the project was Jeremy Banning. He did a lot of the initial research on the project and 2 weeks on site in February 2007. The information that Jeremy managed to glean from various sources was top class. It was held on site and you could have spent hours reading and studying the various drawings/plans etc. For anyone with an interest in the Tunnelling operations it was a treasure! Once the dugout was open he was also a regular visitor coming over to help. There is a longer documentary on the project due for airing soon on the History Channel as 2 x 1 hour programmes. I will post here when I know when the programme is on. To have had the privilege to have seen the work carried out by that special breed of men here in the Salient, really did magnify the respect I have for them.

Regards

Iain

We like to thank the team from the Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service for their help and all the work they did last weekend down in Vampir.

Kristof as a serving fire fighter myself,can you tell me how did Bucks become involved in this project,and if you have any further plans to extend any future projects please let me no as im sure the London fire brigade would be only more than happy to help out, where a bit more experienced than that lot of carrot crunchers ;)

Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire FRS have a long association with the Ypres Salient as do many FRS in UK. It was an extension of this which resulted in the request for assistance being made and a team were dispatched to undertake the pumping out. It took four days and resulted in our being able to re enter the dug out and also for some filming to be done and record the conditions down there before it re floods - thats the plan. A real appreciation of conditions in such environments which due to the dedication of people like Johanne, Kristoff and Peter and many others -too many to list here - is still possible 90 years on, Hip Horray for all I say and the programme was a compliment to thier work.

(By the way Hudsons whilstle - caution with the public referrral to carrot crunchers and the experience of London FRS, you cant be operational or you would know the truth!)

Iain,

It was a real pleasure to have you and Donna in our team last winter. Your contribution was one of unconditional and passionate labour. We worked as a great team along with the local and international academics and I challenge many others to do it better on the same scale and in the same circumstances.

Thank you mate. You can wear your “colours “ with proud.

Kristof Jacobs

Project director "Vampir Project"

Association for Battlefield Archaeology and Conservation

Yes we are sure. I hope this is a answer to your question?

cheers, Kristof

[/quote)

Kristof,

thank you for your answer however it was a rhetorical question. A superb programme none the less.

Simon.

Could anyone who recorded this send me a pm? - I'd like to see it while i'm in London next week.

Simmo.

Very good programme.

Time team without the time team really, wasn`t looking forward to stage managed peices to camera & found that actually like other special programmes Tony Robinson carried of a good link between the experts & production. leaves the door open to a follow up programme as well me-thinks

Bob

Britman,

There were 2 versions of this doco made, the first a 90 min piece for UK Channel 4, the programme that people are discussing here. Someone has uploaded this onto Youtube, so if you are in an area where you cant get the doco via TV go onto www.youtube.com and type in "Vampire Dugout" into the search box. It is there in 8 parts. The second documentary should at some stage be going out on the History Channel in 2 x 1 hour programmes. But when, I am not sure. As soon as I know I will post here.

Best regards

Iain

Can someone tell me if there is a way for US residents to see this show?

If you don't fancy the "Multi-part" You-tube route...

http://www.channel4.com/4od/index.html

Download the (FREE) software to your PC.

Once you're up and running, use the search facility and type in...

"Lost WW1 Bunker. Time Team Special".

Time Team is one of my favourite shows ever! I wonder how long we'll have to wait to see this episode here in Aus?

Susie log onto Channel 4 and download 4oD then you can save or stream it at you leisure for free. I assume that is possible from Oz Colin

First, thanks for the advice on this programme. Just finished watching and indeed fascinating, especially to see the preserved state of the found artefacts.

I do not think the Channel 4 streaming is available outside the UK, so the Youtube version in eight parts would be the way to go if you are viewing from overseas.

Ian

Susie log onto Channel 4 and download 4oD then you can save or stream it at you leisure for free. I assume that is possible from Oz Colin

Thanks Colin. I gave it a go, but no, Channel 4 doesn't work in the colonies hehehe Thanks anyway :)

Thanks Colin. I gave it a go, but no, Channel 4 doesn't work in the colonies hehehe Thanks anyway :)

See my post above - you can still watch it on Youtube!

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent programme.

I was one of the lucky ones who had the chance of actually visiting the Vampir Dugout. A genuine thrill.

Johan and his team were working very hard to preserve the dugout. The next day or so the bunker would be closed again till???

Nilis

See my post above - you can still watch it on Youtube!

All sorted, thanks to the wonderful people on this site :D