Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sarajevo

Kate Wills

From Our Own Correspondent on Radio 4 this morning carried a report from Sarajevo. The city was besieged for so long, and many buildings ruined, and amongst the general destruction all traces of Gavrilo Princip’s fatal shots in the summer of 1914 were lost. These included a set of footprints engraved in the pavement and a museum dedicated to this cataclysmic event. However, a new museum is to be opened soon, which has the full backing of Princip’s niece Svetlana. Much debate has surrounded this, as Princip is a hero to some and a villian to others in his native city, and the region we used to call Yugoslavia.The museum is attempting to avoid any political slant, and simply tell the story of Princip’s life, and the action which made Sarajevo headline news in 1914. If you wish to hear this report, click here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/from_our_...ent/default.stm then press the ‘listen to the latest programme’ button.

• 1 year later...

Have any of the pals been to this museum since Kate added the thread? It seems like this museum could offer a lot, especially since some of the links with history seem to be lost.

Andy

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

I was there during the late unplesentnest but I was to busy watching for snipers to do much site seeing.

The place was closed but a local showed me where he did the deed.

I have no wish to ever go back to see it either.

S.B

I was in Sarajevo last year but the museum wasn't open yet. Princip's concrete footprints were ripped out of the ground during the seige because he was a Bosnian Serb, but you can still see the hole in the footpath where they used to be! (Hey, in a town that bears as many scars as Sarejevo, you take whatever tourist attractions you can get!)

I've attached a couple of photos below - the first one is the street corner where old Archie Duke was assassinated (with my wife Merryn standing next to the former site of Princip's footprints); the second is the plaque in the wall marking the site of the assassination.

Sarajevo's a great city and I would recommend it to anyone travelling to Eastern Europe.

Cheers,

Mat

post-5-1100040520.jpg

While I'm in photo-posting mode, here's another couple of shots of Sarajevo. The first one is the town hall where Archie Duke and Sofia got in their car for the drive through town that ended in the assassination. Until the recent war it was used as the city's library - a Serbian incendiary shell spelt the end of that, but it's now being restored.

post-5-1100041191.jpg

Here's the steps of the town hall where the famous photo of the Archduke and Sofia getting into the car was taken (Merryn makes another appearance).

post-5-1100041328.jpg

And finally, for some perspective on the horrors of the recent war, here's a typical Sarejevo suburban scene - family homes and cemeteries for the civilians killed in the seige.

post-5-1100041597.jpg