Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Bn Sherwood Foresters 1918

andycornell55

Hello, All.

I've recently started looking at my family history and have found that my Great-Uncle, William James Cornell was killed in action on 14th October 1918, aged 18, while serving with the 15th Battalion Sherwood Foresters. He was transferred into the regiment on 4th April 1918.

We have been very lucky in finding William's service record via the free military record search on Ancestry.com, but, alas, we have no photograph of William in the family.

Does anyone have any photographs of the Regiment during that period?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Somewhere on the forum there is the author of a book on the 15th. Sherwood Foresters , alas I can't bring his name to mind.

As you will know if you have his records , the 15th were part of the 105th. Brigade 35th. Division.

Colin.

Many thanks for jogging my memory about the name of the author & the book title, it may help Andy in his quest.

Cheers.

Colin

Not just his name, Chris! :D

For Andy's benefit, just banter. Grumpy (David Langley) is very helpful. His book mentions your great-uncle by name in the Roll of Honour, briefly describes the action in which your great-uncle was killed (with another 27 men), and mentions his arrival (not by name) in the battalion, along with 349 others. A quick shufti through the book does not reveal photos of the battalion for the period in question.

Thanks very much for the replies, Everyone. They have been a great help and are very much appreciated. I'll have to treat myself to a copy of David Langley's book.

Regards

Andy