Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Transfer from 5 Lond R to RFC

grossan

I am trying to find information on the war service of Vincent Brimacombe. He enlisted with the 5 Lond R with number 1774 as a Pte and transferred to the RFC number 301097, completing his training at Military School, Ruislip on 16th February 1918.

As I am completely new to this type of research am I able to obtain information here of his movements in France prior to his entry to the RFC. His medal roll shows his date of entry to (1) France as 01.09.15. It also states "Comm. 4.6.17" (in red pen) and "ditto 25.10.17" (in blue pen) - can somebody please interpret the meaning of it all as I am too green to know the ins and outs of such entries. I would appreciate some help from you - with thanks grossan

Hi Edie,can't help with most of your questions but here is POSSIBLY the man !

brim1.jpg

brim2.jpg

He was commissioned 4.6.17

Here's his army officer's service record WO 339/113125 BRIMACOMBE V [1914-1922]

The RFC became the RAF. His RAF record may be here AIR 76/55 Briggs, R W - Brixey, Harry

Thank you both for your replies - he is certainly my man (my father actually) and it is great to know now where I need to look to obtain his service records - if I may ask you one more thing - will I have to go to Kew to obtain the records or can they be gathered online? I really do appreciate your efforts in searching for me. grossan

Arny officers service records can be over 70 pages long, copying those can take a lot of money, you're better off seeing what's in there first.

RAF officers' records (as long as he didn't continue serving) are on microflim and are only about 3 pages long!

• 10 years later...

Vincent Brimacombe was my step grandfather.  I knew him well as a child. After his first wife died he married my step grandmother Dorothy Alice Ester James.  To contact me email textserver.com@gmail.com