Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date of death

Mick D

Hello,

My research shows the killed in action day for my relative as being 25th Sept 1915. As I have now found his records on line, I see that the records actually show him as being listed as missing on that date. One even shows the date as being between 25th - 27th Sept 1915.

Was is an assumption that the first date as being 'missing' was the date of death, or were any other records made during a battle or engagement that could confirm or add to the assumption ?

Mick

Mick

I suspect, as ever, that it depends on circumstances. If there were reports from comrades then I would have thought those would have been used for a date. But in the case of, say, an attack where the men have "gone over the top", then it's usually assumed they were killed in the attack. Of course, there's no way of knowing if a man had been badly wounded and took a considerable time to die.

John

Mick

I suspect, as ever, that it depends on circumstances. If there were reports from comrades then I would have thought those would have been used for a date. But in the case of, say, an attack where the men have "gone over the top", then it's usually assumed they were killed in the attack. Of course, there's no way of knowing if a man had been badly wounded and took a considerable time to die.

John

The quoted date of death is often the date they took the muster and not the date he actually died. As john said it all depends on circumstances

John

The date was determined as part of a legal process as it had importance for pay and the settling of his estate; even if that just meant returning his effects. As it appears that no one had seen him alive after the 25th, that was the date chosen in this case.

That was easy to deduce in relation to my relative, no body was ever found, and more poignant no effects found. It makes you think when you see the army form being sent out with a message of 'no personal effects' to his widow and new born son.

I often look at the graves at Dud Corner cemetery, in particular the ones marked as an 'unknown soldier of the DLI' or 'unknown soldier' and wonder if they mark the burial site of my relative.

Mick