Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th & 14th London Regiments

aj hellyer

My grandfather , Leslie Codner and his future brother in law, Harold Cutter joined the 19th in France during 1915. Both survived the war but transferred out of the regiment, Leslie to the MGC and Harold to the Northamptons when he became a POW. I have found their medal cards on Ancestry but no service records, does this mean they are lost or is there another way to trace their paths.

Remembering also my other grand dad Clarence, invalided out of the London Scottish before the fateful day at Gommecourt and his brother Albert who was not so lucky and fell with 615 of their mates.

aj,

Service records are held by the National Archives at Kew.

I think about 60% were pretty much destroyed by WW2 bombing of London, but many slightly damaged records, even just fragments still exist on micro-film there.

But there could be a full record in paper form existing, so have you searched on their website?

Mick.

aj,

Service records are held by the National Archives at Kew.

I think about 60% were pretty much destroyed by WW2 bombing of London, but many slightly damaged records, even just fragments still exist on micro-film there.

But there could be a full record in paper form existing, so have you searched on their website?

Mick.

Thanks for the response, I think I have exhausted the online route, a trip to Kew is probably next, but I think my guys are in the 60% lost.

I might be able to give you a few more snippets of info. Would they be 1674 Private Leslie William Jason CODNER and 3881 Private Harold Ernest CUTTER by any chance? Please confirm and I will post what I can.

The 19th London Old Comrades are still going strong BTW...

regards

Charles

• 2 weeks later...
I might be able to give you a few more snippets of info. Would they be 1674 Private Leslie William Jason CODNER and 3881 Private Harold Ernest CUTTER by any chance? Please confirm and I will post what I can.

The 19th London Old Comrades are still going strong BTW...

regards

Charles

Charles

many thanks for your reponse, yes these are my guys. How do I join the OCA?

rgds

Tony

Tony, I will have a look and post what I can. I will be able to give you approx enlistment dates. Codner was a pre-war TF soldier.

Please send me an email via the forum (click on my name and go to my profile) and I will send you information about the OCA.

Charles

Charles

sorry to be a nuisance but I appear to be blocked from sending you an email (newish member?)

could you please email me the OC details :- tony{at}britishcurry.co.uk

Have turned up another great uncle in the 19th, 275 Pte Ernest Mason disch 5/2/17 GSW left elbow

best regards

Tony