Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Claiming a King's Pardon

Northern Soul

I have identified a soldier who deserted from the regular force pre-war and then re-enlisted under an alias, again, pre-war. According to a note on his Service Papers he "claimed the benefit of the King's pardon etc. I'd be grateful if someone could decipher the rest and provide a bit of an explanation as to what was involved here. It's not something I've ever heard of before.

The corollory of it all is that he was killed in 1914 and has ended being officially commemorated under his alias and has a really confusing next of kin entry.

Thanks.

Andy.

post-754-1226077041.jpeg

The King's Pardon was a blanket pardon to deserters - usually in peacetime - that was granted to those who returned to the colours by a certain date. I can't find any mention of a pardon issuing in 1910 or thereabouts in the material I have to hand but the following is a reproduction of one issued in 1802:

"Whereas it has been represented to the King that there are several deserters from the different Regular Corps of His Majesty's Services who may be induced to return to their duty on offer of a pardon, His Majesty has been pleased to grant his Gracious Free Pardon to all deserters who shall surrender themselves before a due date to the Commanding Officer of any Regiment. They shall then be returned to the regiments from which they deserted."

Special Army Order of 23rd May 1910.

Deserters from the Army will, under the circumstances referred to, be granted a pardon if they surrender before 23rd July, 1910, at home or before 23rd September, 1910, abroad. They will be allowed to serve in the corps in which they are at the time of surrender, except those soldiers who come under the conditions of paragraph 526, King's Regulations. A deserter from the Navy who joined the Army would not be subject to military law at the time of his offence, and the pardon would not be applicable in his case.

There were conditions though

'The forfeiture of prior service was one of the conditions of the pardon and was in accordance with the410W procedure adopted in connection with the pardon granted in 1887. The service so forfeited can be regained by subsequent service for three years without regimental entry, and in cases where the forfeiture has been represented as involving special hardship the soldier's Commanding Officer has power to put forward an application for restoration of service under the latter part of paragraph 273 King's Regulations.'

Mick

Thanks very much guys.

Just one more question - any idea if, when a deserter was unmasked as serving under an alias in another regiment (having re-enlisted), was he allowed to continue serving under the alais or did he have to revert to his real name?

Andy.