Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Could this be the same man

twee

Hi all new on here , was wondering if these two medal cards could be my greatgrandad, if im correct old 4 figure regiment numbers changed and the second medal card says he started as private and was discharged as a sgt. Also what was the cause of discharge I know he was injured could anybody clear up this, thanks in advance.

jmaskew1915.jpg

jmaskew1919.jpg

Hi twee, welcome to the forum.

I can't confirm that these cards belong to your great grandad but I would suggest that they are medal cards for the same man. Despite there not being a common number to link the two cards, you are correct in that the Territorial force renumbered their men from 4-digit to 6-digit numbers in 1917.

A quick search of the MICs shows two other soldiers similarly renumbered, Frederick J Towner 9308 & 240465 and Norman Bennett 9320 & 240469, a number sequence that James fits into which suggests to me that the two cards you have are linked.

Regards

Steve

From the Long Long Trail - 1/5th, 1/6th, 1/7th and 1/8th Lancashire fusiliers landed at Gallipoli 5th May 1915 which ties in with the first card.

On the 2nd card there is a date of 9th Aug 1914 for enlistment which would suggest that he wasn't a regular (although he may have been a reservist), so it seems likely that both cards refer to Territorials.

The date of discharge Feb 1919 seems more like demobilisation, but I'm not sure what "List H" was.

Neil

His medals will certainly make things clearer.

edit: (xvi) No longer physically fit for service. Not sure why there appear to be two dates of discharge.

I'm not sure what "List H" was.

List H or rather List H/2931/1 refers to the issue of the Silver War Badge and is the Army Medal Office reference to James' entry in one of the volumes now held at Kew in the WO329 series.

Regards

Steve