Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte H Jelly, 2nd Bn Coldstream Guards

LarryH57

My grandfather Pte Peter Gentry, told me that while he was serving in 2nd Bn Coldstreams on the Western Front he had a mate called Jelly, which everyone thought was very amusing as a surname, as it is not very common. Some time in 1915 my grandfather and Pte Jelly were detailed to bring up rations in horse drawn wagons to the front line. It was probably part of my grandfathers job as he was a cook by trade. Whereas my grandfather did what he was told, Pte Jelly somehow got waylaid in his wagon and ended up at a local farmhouse where with the occupants of the farm drank much of the rum he was carrying and ate the food. Whether he was arrested or gave himself up I do not know but as a punishment he was sent to the front line and was KIA & never seen again. I have often wondered whether he was shot for desertion, as I have heard that some who were shot were described as KIA as a cover. No doubt someone has researched all the names of the shot at dawn soldiers but for Jelly to be punished by just going to the front (all be it to be KIA) seems quite lenient compared to the treatment of other soldiers who were found behind the lines. I wonder if anyone knows his full name also.

If the story is not a legend, then he is likely to be:

Name: JELLY

Initials: H G

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Coldstream Guards

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 11/07/1915

Service No: 8498

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: D. 26.

Cemetery: CAMBRIN CHURCHYARD EXTENSION

post-6536-1226017873.jpg

Steve.

Hi Larry,

Pte Harold George Jelly, KiA 11th July 1915. CWGC entry

Prof. E Jelly, Brain Surgeon built and lived in the Rocket House, Angle, and is just down the road from us...does make me think of the 'Mr Men' books,

Jon

There is a Harold George Jelley on the 1901 Census. Born circa 1892 at Bedford. Resident as a patient at St Bartholemew's Hospital, London. (Yes - that one...) Birth registers have a Harold George Jelley born in 1891 at Bedford.

Steve.

Du Ruvigny's Roll of Honour has a very small entry:

JELLEY, HAROLD GEORGE, Rivate., No. 8489, 2nd Battalion Coldstream Guards, son of George William Jelley of Leicester; served with the Expeditionary Force; killed in action at Cambrin, 11 Sept. 1914.

Private Jelley's service record should still be at the Coldstream Guards Archives at Birdcage Walk, along with your Grandfathers.

Steve.

Du Ruvigny's also shows a different number - 8489 (It's not my typing!)

Steve.

Yeah, we're just treading water here, really ;)

Steve.

Regarding Jelly's punishment of being sent up to the front line, at first I thought that it would have been no more dangerous for him than the others - but perhaps it included something a bit more dangerous such as manning a listening post in no mans land?

How strange there are two Jelly's in the Coldstreams! Somehow I think there was only one who died in July 1915 as per the CWGC entry for 11th July 1915

I think it is a case of a Roll of Honour (Du Ruvigny's) being totally wrong in its dates...

Steve.

CG ww1 casualty returns show 1915

post-3871-1226142386.jpg

1914 roll confirms same date

he was issued his 1914 Xmas tin so must have been around to receive it

post-3871-1226142599.jpg

His punishment was probably that he had a relatively safe job as a cook behind the trenches and was being sent up on a permanent basis

Thanks Coldstreamer

It's amazining to think that other soldiers were shot for doing a 'Pte Jelley'

Do you know what the 2nd Coldstreams were doing in July 1915 and how did you come to have such good records for the Coldstreams - did you get copies of their Bn records?

Ive loads of stuff amassed over the years from lots of places - forum included

do you want a copy of the war diary for July 15 - Pm your email addy