Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Post Office Rifles

AGWR

I am trying to track down exactly where the battalion was on 14 October 1918. I would also be interested to find out what was recorded in the war diary for that date. Any information would be much appreciated.

Regards,

AGWR

Taken from a history of the PO Rifles 1919

The 8th were at Courrières attempting to create a bridgehead over the canal. Strong opposition was met and 2 platoons of 'D' Company were overwhelmed and the survivors captured. 2 Officers were captured, 2 wounded along with 89 OR casualties

Martin

AGWR

You can pay for a download at the National Archives in their Digital Express Service,it costs 8.50 for 10 pages. The War Diary for the 1/8 (called the 8th Battalion for the date you post as 1/8 and 2/8 amalgamated in early 1918) is WO95/3006. If you want a download I would suggest that you ask for the 20th October backwards as far as the 10 pages carry you. That could be the rest of October,or even more,dependant upon the writer's style.

You could take a look at the Division's page from the Long Long Trail,at top left of this page:

http://www.1914-1918.net/58div.htm

PO Rifles were part of 174 Brigade.

Sotonmate

Martin,

Many thanks for your reply. It is for a friend whose relative was killed on this date. I am sure that he will be very grateful for this information.

Sotonmate,

Thanks for that. I have never used the NA Digital Express Service. I shall give it a try.

Regards,

AGWR