Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Belgian Headstone

Terry Denham

On 28.08.99 I reported to the Belgian authorities via CWGC that one of their casualties buried in Eastbourne (Ocklynge) Cemetery, Sussex was lying in an unmarked grave.

O/Luitenant Jules Joseph ANGE Died 29.03.16

Nothing was heard again after this report - until today.

Today, Ryan (Salientpoints) who lives in the area sent me the photo below showing a new headstone which has recently appeared. I was last in this cemetery about three weeks ago and I am sure it was not there then.

Better late than never.

Thanks to Ryan for the pic.

post-1-1078691208.jpg

A little bit of history on our fellow for those interested:

ANGE, born in 1891, was a volunteer in the army since 1907. In 1914 he became a sublieutenant, but it seems he probably suffered a nervous breakdown and quit the army in 1915 to go to a hospital in Britain where he died.

I am now looking into the local hospital histories to see if he died whilst 'interned', we had quite a few in Eastbourne.

According to the Documentation Centre - Royal Army Museum Brussels, they don't think it is an official Belgian instance so maybe it was funded privately or by the CWGC here?

Ryan

Ryan

It will not have been funded by CWGC as they are only permitted to pay for Commonwealth headstones.

It has to have been supplied at the request and cost of the Belgian authorities. I'll try to find out.

Thanks Terry, it's certainly got me curious, especially with the reply I got from Belgium.

Ryan

Ryan

Ange's headstone was erected on 04.08.03 - so I missed it on a couple of visits to the cemetery!

In 1999 CWGC undertook a review of all Belgian war graves in the UK and they had the note from myself about this being an unmarked grave. As a consequence they contacted the relevant government authority in Belgium who approved the placing of a new headstone at the expense of the Belgian taxpayer.

CWGC organised the erection of the headstone but did not pay for it. The Belgian government did.

Ah the puzzle is solved! thanks so much for the update Terry.

Now all I need to do is see what Ange was up to in Eastbourne.

Ryan

Well done Terry, nice job and patience seems to pay as you say.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as promised a little more on our fellow:

To summise -

ANGE, born in 1891, was a volunteer in the army since 1907. In 1914 he became sublieutenant, but probably had a nervous breakdown and quit the army in 1915 to go to hospital in Britain where he then died.

Jules Joseph Angé (with accent) was born in Herderen 1891/07/07. His address was 36 Boulevard Van Narmen, St.- Truiden. His father: Joseph. His mother: Colignon Marie. Died in East Sussex on 1916/03/29.

Buried in Eastbourne, Ocklynge Cemetery. Cause of death: accident (skull fracture & drowning). He was not married.

Deprived of his grade on January 1915. Killed during a drive. Ran into a bridge with the car and drowned at Pear Tree Hill, Bodle Street near Hailsham (Sussex). After his deprivation (expulsion ?)he was not in the army anymore. While he was, he was sublieutenant in the infantry.

His name is not mentioned in the Belgian publication "Nos Héros / Onze helden" (= Our Heroes). So the inscription "Gestorven voor België" (Killed for Belgium) is either potentially rather mysterious, or he was ignored, perhaps a shell shock victim or simply forgotten in the publication.

Still more to investigate then...anyone any ideas how I may find out which hospital he 'enroled' in?

Ryan

• 2 weeks later...

I have found his unit was either at some point or at the moment he left as "3 Jagers te Voet 1/1 "

Does anyone have any info on this Belgian unit?

Thanks

Ryan