Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Royal Rifle Corps

kesannah

Kesannah

As Mark says you'll find a lot about 21/KRRC on the other topic. There is a small memorial to them in the market place in Helmsley North Yorkshire (where the battalion was originally raised). I've attached a photo I took a few years back:

Mike,

Here's the 21/KRRC memorial in StreetView:

Helmsley Yeoman Rifles memorial in Google StreetView

In this specific view, the memorial tablet sits on a picture boundary, so there's a slice out of the centre missing, but if you move about, you'll get a views of the whole tablet from further back.

Cheers,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Has anyone information of the whereabouts of the 9th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps on the 15/09/1916 as i'm looking for information on a great uncle who was killed then

Regards Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

The (very) Brief History of the KRRC puts the 9th as follows:

"On the 15th September it again sustained heavy losses at the capture of Gueudecourt."

I'm sure one of the experts will be along shorlty with more detail, but its a start!

Neal

Westlake's entry for 9/KRRC in British Battalions on the Somme:

9th (Service) Battalion. 42nd Brigade, 14th (Light) Division:

Arrived Fienvillers from Arras sector (1/8). Entrained for Mericourt (7/8) and from there marched to Buire (8/8). Via Dernancourt and Meaulte to bivouacs near Fricourt (12/8), Montauban Alley via Mametz (19/8). Battalion records (K.R.R.C. Chronicle 1916) record 32 aeroplanes overhead (mostly British) at 6.30 p.m. (20/8). There would be much fighting in the air 'without decisive result' and an enemy observation balloon shot down. Relieved 8th Rifle Brigade in Delville Wood (21/8). Attacked (24/8) - 'C' and 'D' Companies moved forward at 5:45 p.m. Enemy shelling increased - rifle and machine gun fire opened - all officers either killed or wounded. Records note that men were rallied and led by NCO's. In support - 'A' Company advanced at 5:45p.m. - attack held up by wire and machine gun fire from strong-point in Edge Trench. Cleared by bombing attacks 2 a.m. (25/8). Casualties - 289.

Relieved and by beginning of September resting at St. Maulvis. Entrained at Airaines for Mericourt (11/9) and from there marched through Buire and Dernancourt to camp in a field north of railway. To positions south of Becordel-Becourt (12/9), Pommiers Redoubt (14/9). Attack and capture of Gueudecourt (15/9). Commanding Officer Lieutenant-Colonel E.W. Benson killed during advance. Passed through Switch and Gap Trenches (held by the 7th and 8th K.R.R.C.) and dug-in at Gas Alley. Relieved 4.30 a.m. (16/9) and withdrew to Montauban Alley. To Becordel-Becourt (17/9), camp a mile north of Buire (18/9). To Arras sector and billets at Beaudricourt (22/9).

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

For the benefit of other Pals wanting basic info :innocent: on the war history of the KRRC, I thought I'd remind everyone of these pages on the KRRC Association website ...

Here's the best place to start:

KRRC Association - Overview of First World War

Then use the navigation buttons in the Navigation menu on the right hand side to reach pages covering the Great War year by year, or if that's not obvious, then use these links ...

Salonika (3rd & 4th KRRC)

Italy (18th & 21st KRRC)

Murmansk, North Russia (KRRC & RB Rifles Company)

Demobilisation

There's lots of other interesting material on the activities of the 60th in other periods too.

The text is an OCR scan of the text from the 1948 edition of A Brief History of the King's Royal Rifle Corps.

Many of the routine KRRC questions are answered there.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Has anyone information of the whereabouts of the 9th Bn King's Royal Rifle Corps on the 15/09/1916 as i'm looking for information on a great uncle who was killed then

Regards Jonathan

A little more detail in my post here too: Capt Humphrey Dowson MC > Citation/gazette? (Dowson was in 9/KRRC) as well as info on the earlier Capture of Delville Wood.

You should also read Andy's marvellous Topic on Evelyn Southwell of the 9/RB and his great friend, Malcolm White:

Two Men - One Memorial, The Story of two Shrewsbury Schoolteachers

and here's my Topic on his memorial in Worcester Cathedral:

Lt EHL Southwell, 9th Rifle Brigade, Killed 15 Sep 1916 at The Somme

Southwell also fell on 15 Sep 1916 at Flers. :poppy: 9/RB and 9/KRRC were both in 42nd Brigade.

Cheers,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Mike,

Here's the 21/KRRC memorial in StreetView:

Helmsley Yeoman Rifles memorial in Google StreetView

Mark

Thanks for this. Helmsley is a lovely spot. I'm fortunate to get there about once a year.

Mike

Mark

Thanks for this. Helmsley is a lovely spot. I'm fortunate to get there about once a year.

Mike

My pleasure Mike!

• 3 years later...

I am trying to find out info on the following soldier

John T HEWISH Pte

Kings royal Rifle Corps?

R 22856 service no?

He was born late 1890's Clerkenwell London

He survived the war.

Any info would be good

Sorry if this should be in the soldier section.

• 1 year later...

Hello All.

I am researching Rifleman Soliman Bayliss, of the 21st Battalion of KRRC, R 12523.

He was killed on 12/06/17, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

I recently bought, from the National Archive, the digitised version of the 21st Battalion war diary for the year including June 1917, but, unfortunately, the only month missing was June 1917!

They have reviewed the original material in their possession and find that it not present there either.

Does anybody know where the 21st Battalion KRRC were on 12/06/17, I am assuming Messines, when the big mines went up.

If anybody has maps of their disposition, I would be very grateful to see them.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Ed

Hello All.

I am researching Rifleman Soliman Bayliss, of the 21st Battalion of KRRC, R 12523.

He was killed on 12/06/17, has no known grave and is commemorated on the Menin Gate.

I recently bought, from the National Archive, the digitised version of the 21st Battalion war diary for the year including June 1917, but, unfortunately, the only month missing was June 1917!

They have reviewed the original material in their possession and find that it not present there either.

Does anybody know where the 21st Battalion KRRC were on 12/06/17, I am assuming Messines, when the big mines went up.

If anybody has maps of their disposition, I would be very grateful to see them.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Ed

Your best bet on this is to post your request here: Classic Threads: 21st Battalion KRRC - the original Yeomen

At the end of May 1917 they were out of the line training at EPERLECQUES, NW of ST.OMER.

At the start of July they were again training at METEREN just west of BAILLEUIL.

It doesn't read like they spent time in the line in between.