Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Endell Street Military Hospital

ericwebb

I've finally pinned this down to 28.12.1915. Queen Alexandra visited that day as noted in the Court Circular and also spent time with the Princess Royal and Princess Maud who are actually shown in the photo. This is the only time in all the Court Circular for the three years 1915-1917 that the Queen and her daughter and granddaughter are mentioned together and in conjunction with Endell Street in any way and I think the photographer has made a mistake naming Princess Alice, because on careful checking - the image does appear to show the young fashionable Princess Maud wearing a lot of white Arctic fox fur. So, pending finding a print - which will be a task - I'm going to stick with this for a while (hundreds were deleted in the 1960s). Thanks for all your help, friends.

• 2 months later...

Yes..VERY Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I have to spend many weeks away from the project dealing with 21st Century stuff and other aspects of the task (hundreds of other negs to deal with and prints where negs were destroyed in the Blitz) - I hope I don't seem evasive. It is scanned and retouched. My problem is copyright. I can get in to seven shades of problems putting full images on here. I don't own it..... I will have to think about a way round this.

MB

• 7 months later...

The information I have is: Winifred Finnimore Buckley, born Calcutta. Educated Kensington High School and Newnham College Cambridge. Entered the London School of Medicine for Women in Autumn 1905, aged 21. Qualified LRCP MRCS in 1908. Served at the Endell Street Military Hospital as one of the surgeons from 1915-1919. No idea what she did after the war, but it shouldn't be difficult to find out from the Medical Directory.

I have a photo of her if you would like.

Jennian

• 2 months later...

Several years ago i came across an internet article by Jennian about Endell St doctors when i was trying to find out more about my grandmother Dr Winifred Kindness. SHe was a feisty Aberdonian who i believe worked at Endell STreet. My father also thought she had worked in France, maybe driving medical vehicles as he thought he had seen a photo of her in this situation. He has now passed away and nothing appeared in his papers etc to support or deny this. WIth the WW1 exhibitions etc this year I am trying to find out more about her medical work. Can anyone help?

I live in Scotland and on a recent visit to London was disappointed as the IWM was closed so I couldnt find out what records/information might be held there.

Thanking you in advance

Gill

Gill I think she was at medical school in Aberdeen for most of the war: MA in 1914; qualified MB ChB in 1918. Joined Endell Street in 1918, I think stayed till it closed in 1919. You could try looking in Medical Directories from 1919 onwards. How did you know she worked at ES? I've only found a passing reference to her in one account.

Jennian

Thanks - i think it was BMA or GMC that told me about Endell Street. But they also said she then went on to work at a (childrens ?) hospital in Bristol which none of us had ever heard about so weren't sure how reliable the information was. Apparently it was based on information she would have submitted to keep their records up to date but that it was entirely up to the individual whether they updated their records or not.

i know she married in 1928 in London and her husband became Mayor of Marylebone in 1946. I think Marylebone would have covered the Endell Street area and tie in with where she was living at the time. Bristol just doesnt seem to fit, but also the story of her being in France doesnt tie in too well with the dates of graduating in Aberdeen. Also, why go all the way to London to work, when there seems to have been a strong female medical influence in Edinburgh at the time.

maybe we shall never know now!

Kind regards

Gill

It sounds as though you were given information from the Medical Directory. Can you get to a library that has a run of the MD (NB not Medical Register) and look yourself? Although entries are what the individual has supplied (so not every registered doctor is listed), most women at that time were assiduous in giving information, and as a result the information is reliable. You can follow their careers very easily, by year. Jennian

• 1 month later...

I am researching those who died in conflict in a local cemetery ( and there are quite a few). There are a couple of ladies remembered/resting within the grounds, one being quite famous, but the other lady when googled lead me again to this wonderful site.

She is Gladys Evelyn Morrison, whose monument says she died as a result of Active Service at Endell Street Military Hospital.

I am presuming she served as a nurse and as her d of d is July 1918 I presumed, not always correct to do so, that she died as a result of the flu epidemic. She rests in Weybridge according to the family memorial.

Does anyone have any more information about her.

regards and thanks

Carol Sklinar

www.wakefieldfhs.org.uk

www.genealogyjunction.org.uk

Her father was from Wakefield and her mother from Weybridge. Gladys had worked at the Endell Street Military Hospital for three years as an orderly when she was struck down with pneumonia and died. Last year I visited the cemetery where she is buried only to find that her grave seems to be unmarked. I know that her name is on the Endell Street Hospital Memorial but it seems that you have a monument up there in Wakefield. I should be grateful if you would let me know where it is.

I believe that Gladys Morrison came to Endell Street from Cheltenham Ladies College. Most of the VADs at ES were at one or other of the women's public schools, and the school magazines are a good source of information. Try the archivist at CLC.

PS - Flora Murray's book says (p.208) 'In July 1918, at a time of high pressure and great anxiety, Miss Gladys E Morrison developed influenza and pneumonia and died, in spite of all that nurses and doctors could do. She was one of those who joined the hospital when it opened, and she had just completed three years continuous and splendid service. Her long association with the hospital had made her part of it, and her many friends and admirers missed her sadly.'

• 3 months later...

Firstly, utterly depressingly, not a single one is on the CWGC Debt of Honour Roll - why not?

Secondly, has anyone been able to identify the death registrations? From the Sue/Jennian listings i'm proposing the following four England & Wales records (and ignoring for the moment any possibility of name changes from marriage or whatever):

Medical - Louisa Woodcock

(Jennian has b. 1865, but where?)....

Death Q1 1917 Marylebone 1a 879 "Woodcock, Louisa, age 51"

I stumbled on this wonderful thread by accident. While Louisa Woodcock may not be honoured by the CWGC, she is included in the Trinity College Dublin war memorial along with the many male alumni who also died. I noticed her name and was sufficiently intrigued by this solitary female to Google her.

I have ordered a copy of a book on the Trinity Alumni who died in the Great War, and if it contains any further information on Louisa Woodcock I will come back and post it.

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Memorials-Detail?memoId=458

• 2 years later...

Hi all

I've just joined the forum as i'm interested in writing a  book about Endell Street. I know, of course, that Jennian Geddes is the expert - and she has very kindly given me lots of help and encouragement already. I've got a list of staff - courtesy of Jennian - known to have worked at Endell Street and am currently compiling a list of patients, mainly from the news cuttings scrapbook at the Women's Library. I'm hoping to build on the details already known by adding more personal stories so i'm keen to locate any diaries or letters or other information regarding any staff who worked at Endell Street or any patients who were treated there. Please feel free to email me direct if you wish wendymoore@ntlworld.com You can find out about my previous work and books here www.wendymoore.org 

• 1 year later...

Just picking this thread up belatedly - as i'm writing a book about Endell Street - and wanted to ask Gill whether you have found any more information about your grandmother Winifred Kindness during her time at Endell Street. I wondered whether she had left any letters or other documents relating to that time.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2008 at 13:19, royalredcross said:

Thanks, Jennian. I have Flora Murray's book and had always assumed that Pearson was in the photo. But which one ?

These things are sent to try us.

I have Pearson's medals. For those interested, the 1914 Star is named E. Pearson W. HOSP: CORPS

NGG

I'm interested in tracking details of nurses who worked with the Women's Hospital Corps in Paris and Wimereux and at Endell Street Military Hospital (for a book I'm writing). I've tracked down various staff in different archives but so far not much from nurses. Do you by chance have any letters or other records that Eleanor Pearson left?

I'd love to hear about any other nurses too - I've got a fairly complete list of nams (largely courtesy of Jennian Geddes) but little in the way of letters, diaries and so on.

Wendy Moore

I have no personal effects related to Pearson but can tell you a little more about her from my own basic researches.  If you wish, email me at arrcrrc@gmail.com.

Norman 

• 6 months later...

Winfred Buckley

Lots of information on Ancestry

Search Winifred Finnimore Buckley born India

She was awarded an OBE, died Brighton 1955

She was of the Cheshire, Great Budworth family

• 3 weeks later...

From the Naburn village web site 

Joan Mary Georgina PALMES

Daughter of Guy St Maur Palmes and Georgina Rosabelle Palmes of Naburn Hall. Orderly, Women's Hospital Corps, Endell Street Military Hospital. Died February 1919 aged 27.

Extract from ‘Women as Army Surgeons’ By Flora Murray CBE MD DPH: “In February 1919, Miss Joan Palmes succumbed to influenza and pneumonia, her death casting a sad gloom over the hospital. Although, for family reasons, her service had not been continuous, she had been a member of the staff since 1915. She had a most endearing personality, gay and courageous and considerate for others.” Endell Street Military Hospital was a military hospital located on Endell Street in Covent Garden, London. This was a military hospital set up and staffed entirely by suffragists. The hospital was established in May 1915 by Dr Flora Murray and Dr Louisa Garrett Anderson (daughter of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson and niece of Millicent Fawcett).

• 4 years later...
On 08/01/2011 at 10:08, Jennyford said:

Sorry, should have added: the Women's Library has recently acquired the papers of Nina Last, who worked as an orderly at Endell Street, which include not only a wonderful large photo of ES staff in which you can actually identify individuals, but also a couple of long accounts she wrote in the 1950s about life at the hospital. With the papers Nina's granddaughter also donated her WHC uniform - I think it's the only example surviving.

Good morning all, 

I'm reading Wendy Moore's most excellent book on Endell Street Hospital and followed the thread of Nina Last, the young VAD who feinted at the sight of blood but still wanted to work in the hospital (brave girl!!) . 

I found the notebook and Nina's memoirs, but does somebody know if a transcript of the diary exists?? 

EDIT: Scrap that... found it !!! 

Thanks. 

M.

Edited by Marilyne