Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SS Maloja

chrisharley9

Excellent - do you want the page with his award of the MC on - nice to see that on his head stone

Chris

Joyce Banks has very kindly sent me another photo of another Maloja victim buried in St James Cemetery, Dover -

post-2961-1227031507.jpg

• 3 months later...

I've just noticed this thread so I thought I'd add to it with a picture of the Maloja in happier times.....

maloja.jpg

regards, Steve.

• 7 months later...

Just revisited this one after a while

Name: COLWILL, SAMUEL

Initials: S

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: S.S. "Maloja."

Date of Death: 27/02/1916

Service No: 175995

Additional information: Husband of Ann Colwill, of 6, Lucas Terrace, Prince Rock, Plymouth.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 17.

Memorial: PLYMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

Grave Found Dover St Marys Cemetery Grave KM9

• 2 years later...

COLWILL, SAMUEL

Service No:175995

Date of Death:27/02/1916

Regiment/Service:Royal Navy

S.S. "Maloja."

Grave ReferenceKM.9

CemeteryDOVER (ST. MARY'S) NEW CEMETERY

Additional Information:

Husband of Ann Colwill, of 6, Lucas Terrace, Prince Rock, Plymouth.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Chief Shipwright is buried here. The Commission is in the process of producing a headstone to mark his grave.

Commemoration Moved From Plymouth Naval Memorial

• 2 years later...

SEYMOUR, ESTHER

Rank: Stewardess Date of Death: 27/02/1916 Age: 40 Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine S.S. "Maloja" (Belfast) Panel Reference: Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL Additional Information: Born in London. Grave Found Hampstead Cemetery

HERRING, HENRY GEORGE

Rank: Bed Steward Date of Death: 27/02/1916 Age: 26 Regiment/Service: Mercantile Marine S.S. "Maloja" (Belfast) Panel Reference: Memorial: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL Additional Information: Son of Thomas and Mary Jane Herring, of 131, Westexe South, Tiverton, Devon. Grave Found Tiverton Cemetery Devon

• 2 weeks later...

MASCARENHAS, PELEGRINO

Topass

Date of Death:

27/02/1916

Regiment/Service:

Indian Merchant Service

S.S. 'MALOJA' (Belfast).

Panel Reference:

Memorial:

BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, MUMBAI

Grave Found Dover St Mary's Cemetery

From the inquest report in the Dover Express 3rd March 1915 this Indian Seaman was identified as washed ashore. From information received from Dover Council we know where the site of the mass grave of the Indian crew of the Maloja is so hopefully a special memorial will be erected to his memory.

• 5 months later...

SEYMOUR, ESTHER

Rank:StewardessDate of Death:27/02/1916Age:40Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine S.S. "Maloja" (Belfast) Grave Reference:Sec.G.8.41Cemetery:HAMPSTEAD CEMETERYAdditional Information:Born in London.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Stewardess Seymour is buried here. The Commission is in the process of erecting a Commission headstone to commemorate her. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; her name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

Commemoration Moved From Tower Hill Memorial.

• 1 month later...

HERRING, HENRY GEORGE

Rank:Bed StewardDate of Death:27/02/1916Age:26Regiment/Service:Mercantile Marine S.S. "Maloja" (Belfast) Grave Reference:Square B. IX. Grave 52Cemetery:TIVERTON CEMETERYAdditional Information:Son of Thomas and Mary Jane Herring, of 131, Westexe South, Tiverton, Devon.

N.B.

Recent research has shown that Bar Steward Herring is buried here. The Commission is in the process of erecting a headstone to mark his grave. Please note that this casualty was previously commemorated on the Tower Hill Memorial; his name will be removed when the appropriate panel is next replaced.

Commemoration Moved From Tower Hill Memorial.

• 10 months later...
On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2015 at 18:24, chrisharley9 said:

MASCARENHAS, PELEGRINO

Topass

Date of Death:

27/02/1916

Regiment/Service:

Indian Merchant Service

S.S. 'MALOJA' (Belfast).

Panel Reference:

Memorial:

BOMBAY 1914-1918 MEMORIAL, MUMBAI

Grave Found Dover St Mary's Cemetery

From the inquest report in the Dover Express 3rd March 1915 this Indian Seaman was identified as washed ashore. From information received from Dover Council we know where the site of the mass grave of the Indian crew of the Maloja is so hopefully a special memorial will be erected to his memory.

No burial register has ever been found to show that this crewman is buried here so his name will remain on the Bombay Memorial.

CWGC have accepted that 22 Indian Merchant seamen are now buried in a mass grave in Dover St Mary's Cemetery. This is marked by a memorial erected by P&O soon after the burial. This is regarded by CWGC as a fitting memorial & will be maintained by them.

• 7 months later...

Hi there,

Don't know if you can help me but I have just found my great aunt Miss Courtney Pain was on board the SS Maloja when it sank in February 1916. I have been looking for her for years now, she seemed to have just disappeared from off the face of the earth, now I think I know why. In the log of deaths at sea it says she is 'supposed drowned'. I'm assuming she did drown  however I would really like to know if her death has been recoded anywhere at all other than that log. Would you know if there is a record somewhere of those that were/remain missing from the sinking of the SS Maloja? 

I don't think there is a memorial for her anywhere and I feel quite sad for that.

Thank you for reading this.

Sincerely

Louise 

Hi Ray,

I have come across this before, it's incorrect.. But thank you for getting on to this for me so quickly. 

However on the passenger list she is listed as Miss Courteney Paine (yes with an 'e') So this isn't her.. these are the walls I keep bumping into.

Anyway I do appreciate your help and would love to know if you come across anything else.

Sincerely

Louide

Louise,

I presume this baptism is for your aunt? Her father at the time was assistant Surgeon with the BN Railway.

Charlie    (edit I see you have done a lot of searching  rootschat etc, and it is the same family)

First name(s) Sarah Louisa Christina
Last name Courtenay-Pain
Birth year 1891
Birth date 15 Dec 1891
Baptism year 1891
Baptism date 14 Mar 1892
Place Chaibasa,All Saints
Presidency Bengal
Father's first name(s) Samuel Joseph
Father's last name Courtenay-Pain
Mother's first name(s) Sarah Dewhurst
Edited by charlie962

Hi Charlie,

yes ive done loads of searching and yes it is the same family. As you may have seen Sarah L C Courteney Pain(e)'s father also drowned but in the Jatinga River Bengal while employed by the railroads as AS. all really just to tradgic.. it was because of the loss of her father she was then put into foster care as her mother had to find work on their return to England.. they lost touch and I believe/understand that this young grand aunt of mine was returning to India where she had spent the first 7-8 years of her life to be with family only to be drowned at sea..

Thanks for your interest

Louise