Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Identification

Duncan Hird

Could anybody please ID the attached Uniform This photo has been in my family for as long as I can remember but to my knowledge there are no family members in it!! The Regiments my family members have served in are Northumberland Fusiliers, Irish Guards and The Lincolnshire Regiment later the Labour Corps (I have Been informed by a very reliable source that the uniform is not Labour Corps)

Look forward to your replies

post-39514-1225837996.jpg

Agreed...Simon beat me to it, post war perhaps, unusual to see ORs with collar dogs,

Jon

Thanks Jon at least I now know the Regiment but don't know why this picture is in my family!!!!

Agreed...Simon beat me to it, post war perhaps, unusual to see ORs with collar dogs,

Jon

Yes John, and the jodhpurs look post-war too. Perhaps suggesting Royal Horse Artillery? The Lance Bombadier has two badges on his left forearm above the long service stripe that I do not recognise. Any ideas?

Simon

Just had another look at the photo. The O/Rs' service dress jackets have shoulder reinforing & pleated pockets. Could this be a volunteer unit - may explain the collar dogs?

Simon

Looks like the crossed flags of a Signaler to me Simon

Jon

Do y'know what, you're absolutely right. I need to get my eyes tested!

Simon

I'd date it to 1920s, and they are certainly Gunners. The Lance Bombardier has one Good Conduct stripe and is qualified in Signalling.

Just to add the ORs caps look to be post war, and the SNCO looks to be the only one to have qualified for medals, so perhaps some time has passed since the Great War.