Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

120 Bde RFA 38TH Welsh Division

Tonymitch

I am in possesion of my uncle's pay books and wish to find out where he fought during the Great War. He was 4069 Driver W.H. Mitchell who's date of attestation was 30/04/15. Regiment RH & RFA Battery BAC 120 Bde RFA.

The first book was issued on 24/12/15 at Winchester and the Officer Commanding appears to be 'F Davey' The first entry is on 31/12/15 at an undecypherable place which seems to be "Havuskuae" On the 18th Feb1916 he is "In the Field" where he remains until 25/01/17 when he goes on leave returning on 20/02/17 being granted leave again on 06/01/18 until 20/01/18 He remains 'in the field' until 23/01/19 when there is a stamp "OPLD Victoria Station" but then seems to return to 'the field' until the last entry on 5/04/19. In his second book on the page 'Promotions, Appointments (etc) on 30/04/17 he is a Class II PP an on 1/07/17 Class I PP. On 19/03/19 he was 'Entitled to a Bonus' and on the same page is a stamp 'Commanding No 2 Sec. 38 DIVnl AMMn Column

Signatures in the book are T Plummer(?) Capt....A.W. Dobson 2/Lt....A (something) Williams Capt RFA...G Rayton(?) perhaps Payton or even Pagston Capt RA....F Pavey Capt.... The rest are just scrawled signatures.

Although he was in the 38th Welsh Division he was born in Lancashire and he had no Welsh connections. I know however that he received his training in Aberyswyth where he was taught to ride a horse by, in his word, "A Sergeant who put me on this massive white thing, smacked it on the behind, sent off at a gallop and shouted bring it back when youv'e b****y well finished with it.

Of interest, but not really related to my request of "Where did he see action", he was in the Observer Corps in WW2 and I am in posession of his medals which have the heads of three Monarchs stamped on them. Geoge V for WW1; George VI WW" and Elizabeth II for long service in the Obs Corps.

Tonymitch

Hi Tony,

I'm currently researching the 38 Div Arty under the 'units' thread on the forum. Downloaded 2000 medal cards so far. (search the forum for Welsh RFA - quite a lot here already) is there any chance of having a scanned copy to add to the research. My grandfather was there in one of the brigades but I don't have any more than his number - so trying to build up the div arty information as a whole to see if he appears somewhere. The book 'A history of the 38 div does give some info. I'll have a look later in the week if you want (bit busy at the moment) plus google 'up to mametz' copy available online giving a good insight to the div. Otherwise you're looking to getting hold of the Brigade diary from Kew. The do charge but may be worth a call and suggest a few dates. Hope that helps Huw

Tony

I found one War Diary for 120 Bde RFA but only a relatively short period from Dec 1915 to Aug 1916. The Ref is WO95/2546. There might be more under another banner,maybe the Division,or a re-group and re-name !

Sotonmate

Here's a copy of his MIC. If you do a forum search for John Posthumous Davies (my grandfather) you'll see a lot of good information from the experts on this forum. Huw

post-36906-1225832514.jpg

Hi Tony,

I'm currently researching the 38 Div Arty under the 'units' thread on the forum. Downloaded 2000 medal cards so far. (search the forum for Welsh RFA - quite a lot here already) is there any chance of having a scanned copy to add to the research. My grandfather was there in one of the brigades but I don't have any more than his number - so trying to build up the div arty information as a whole to see if he appears somewhere. The book 'A history of the 38 div does give some info. I'll have a look later in the week if you want (bit busy at the moment) plus google 'up to mametz' copy available online giving a good insight to the div. Otherwise you're looking to getting hold of the Brigade diary from Kew. The do charge but may be worth a call and suggest a few dates. Hope that helps Huw

Thanks Huw

I'm a complete novice and need a little help!! You are asking for a scanned copy, but I'm uncertain as to what you would like a copy of....If it's Uncle Bill's pay books, no problem....but I don't know how to do it. I'll look at the other stuff you mentioned, but what is the 'Brigade Dairy', how do I get a copy of what? Sorry to appear so thick....what dates do I have to give and to whom...and what is an MIC? (Told you I was a novice)

Tony M

Hi Tony, I'm a newbie myself and appreciate all the help that other forum users continually give. Search the two threads I mentioned and in there, there should be all the information and links you could want. If you send me your e-mail (by personal message) then I'll send you all the scraps on the div atry I've collated into a word document.

Regards

Huw