The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.F.A Ships

sadsac

Hello all, information sought please on the following (believed) R.F.A. Ships ;

WONGANELLA

CORYEIA

BLACK DRAGON

Spelling for these ships is not certain as the names were taken from a hand written document.

Pictures / details, all / any info gratefully received.

Full Steam Ahead !!! Attention Starboard Look-out !!!

Sadsac

Sadsac

RFA Black Dragon I know existed - also known as C600.

She was previously the ex-Danish training ship KOBENHAVN 3,400gr. Purchased on stocks 1914. Sold 9.22

I'm off to Gibraltar tomorrow and will see if I can get any further details - if I can I'll post it on the HistoricalRFA we site.

Yours aye

Chris

a.k.a. Gibeltarik

Hello Sadsac

The only one I can find is:

The WONGANELLA was a steel-hulled 3,998-ton steam cargo ship that measured: 360.0 x 48.5. Sir James Laing & Sons, Ltd., at Deptford shipyard, Sunderland built and completed her as Yard No.605 in October 1904; she was launched on 18 August 1904 as the WONGA FELL (Official No.120464) for Sir James Laing & Sons, Ltd., London and J. A. Seiler was the manager.

In 1906 the registered owner was W. S. Fell & Co., Ltd., Sydney.

In 1909, she was owned by W. Crosby & Co., Melbourne

In 1910 she was renamed WONGANELLA by the same owner.

In 1930 she was renamed MAGDA by new owner Afrikanska Ångfartygs A/B), Göteborg and G. E. Sandström was the manager; Official No.7747

She was wrecked on 31 March 1933 on the Stragglers, at the entrance to Smyth Channel, Magallanes, while voyaging from Callao & Valparaiso to Buenos Aires, with a general cargo & timber

The only BLACK DRAGON I can find was built in 1944 in the USA and launched as the MUNCIE VICTORY. renamed BLACK DRAGON in 1955

Cheers Ron

Thanks for the info Ron, here's two AWARDS for RFA crew, but what of RACE FISHER & CORYEIA ship details ???

LOBB Thomas A N/E Lt. RNR 81J020

H.M.F.A. Race Fisher N/E 07.10.18 Gazetted(M)

Military Operations in Hedjaz - War office 97.10.18 Mentioned in Despatches

Brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for war for valuable services rendered in connection with Military Operations in Hedjaz.

MILLER Ernest C MBE Warrant Shipwright RN 88X502

H.M.R.F.A. Coryeia Cdr. G.L.L. Damant & I.D 10.07.19 N/E Post War DSC

Carried out operations on U.B. 74., for over 3 months.

Conditions :- Depth 22 Fathoms. Weather very unfavourable.

Forced an entry into the Control Room by means of explosives but found floor set up and blocking objective. Recovered the gun, and other fittings of war.

This resulted in the acquisition of information of inestimable value to the successful prosection of the war.

Sadsac

RACE FISHER Coaster 493/92. Built 1892. Hired as ammo. carrier (RFA) 11.1.1915

Fleet messenger 29.7.15. Wrecked 25.3.19 in Mediterranean.

Regards John

Hi Sadsac

Sorry about that, although I cannot find the other one:

The RACE FISHER (Official No.93430) was a steel-hulled 494-ton steam cargo vessel that measured: 173.5 x 26.1. McIlwaine & McColl, Ltd., Belfast built and completed her as Yard No.49 in June 1992; she was launched on 30 April 1892 for J. Fisher & Sons, Barrow. Single screw powered by a 3-cylinder triple expansion steam engine that used one boiler.

She was wrecked on 30th January 1919 in Stratoni Bay, while in Admiralty charter as a Fleet Messenger

Losses on the ship at other times:

CARLISLE, Frederick Asst Engineer MMR HM Fleet Messenger Race Fisher 26.4.16

REILLY, Michael Boatswain (Bosun) MMR HMS Race Fisher 4.9.17

Cheers Ron

Sadac

Could CORYEIA be CORYCIA, only this one seems to fit the bill

CORYCIA Hired Yacht, built 1896, 196 tg (ex-Christine)

1-6pdr, 1-3pdr. 25.9.14 - purchased 24.11.17 as salvage vessel. sold 1.6.20

Regards John

RON, many thanks for RACE FISHER info, much appreciated, especially the further info on the losses. Now to find out `something abput them'.

JOHN, thanks for sorting out the CORYEIA `mystery' - I had taken the name from a written document, so either I must get eyes tested OR Mr inputter got the `squigells' at tha end of the days entering !!

If looked at C can easily be seen to become E - so perhaps we are both not / are, at fault.

More to come later,

Sadsac

Hello Sadsac

Here is an officer who died on her

FERGUSON, James Engineer Lt RNR Fleet Messenger Race Fisher died 12.10.15

Cheers Ron

Hello Chaps, many thanks for your input to date, now another `if you can' !!!

Anyone got / can get photo's / pics of BLACK DRAGON / WONGANELLA / CORYCIA / RACE FISHER or have idea from whence they can be obtained ?? At this time NMM comes to mind to me !!

Any other `obscure' RFA ships come leaping to mind ??

Sadsac

Hi there,

My usual source of images from Gibraltar has not come up trumps this time for the Black Dragon - C600. I know she had an RFA crew as some are listed in the RFA crews registers down at Yeovilton.

She was berth alongside in Gibraltar as an oil hulk.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks CHRIS, RON, been away for few days - hence the lack of reply.

Wonder if `somewhere' there is a comprehensive list of RFA vessels.

If so I suppose it would be a little `messy' as requitions must have taken place `as and when' !!

Sadsac

Sadac,

There is a list of RFA's on my web site at www.historicalrfa.org but I accept it is not complete.

There will be a major upgrade of this site on the 15 December 2008 and there will be much information added - not only to the Fleet list but elsewhere on the site.

As more and more information is found and confirmed it will be added to the site - as and when or when ever there is an upgrade.

Yours aye

Gibeltarik

GIBELTREK, at least now you have a couple of pics of RFA boats, thanks to SPITHEAD JOHN.

Thanks John, will be much appreciated by RFA site I am sure.

Sadsac