Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The 1920 renumbering

Chris_Baker

Does anyone know the logic by which the new army numbers were issued in 1920?

A chap I am researching became 1842282 in the RE sequence, which only began at 1842001 so he is very early in the queue. But why? His surname begins with H, so it is not alphabetical. Is it to do with his unit, date of enlistment, size of boots? What?

I would be grateful for any insight.

numbering within the blocks allocated to a regiment or corps seems to have been pursued in various ways ...... some regiments issued their lowest numbers to the most senior WOs and NCOs.

But RE ..... I know nothing!

Maybe he worked in the depot where the numbers were issued...?

Mark

Does anyone know the logic by which the new army numbers were issued in 1920?

A chap I am researching became 1842282 in the RE sequence, which only began at 1842001 so he is very early in the queue. But why? His surname begins with H, so it is not alphabetical. Is it to do with his unit, date of enlistment, size of boots? What?

I would be grateful for any insight.

The Royal Berkshires allocated the first 70 numbers to senior NCOs and then allocated the rest in strict order of their original regimental number. I would doubt that the Royal Engineers used a random system and would most likely have done something similar to the Berkshires I have around 500 Royal Engineers in my database but I can see no pattern relating numbers to companies but as I do not know what their 1920 numbers were it is difficult to comment. It would be useful if anyone who has a record of both pre and post 1920 were to publish them on the forum so we can see if there is any pattern

regards

John