Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Germans Interned on the Isle of Man

Guest McCracken

Barbara,

You can order a copy of his death certificate on line from the GRO in the same way as you can get a death certificate for anybody else. This should record the cause of death.

Doug

Barbara,

Thank you, will it tell me where he's buried too?

Sadly, no. The cemeteries close to where he was living would be my first point of call followed by a look at the local papers for a death notice which may have the answer. There is a thing called the Nation Burial Register which is, or was, being compiled but it is several years since I last took any interest in it and at that time is was vey incomplete.

Doug

Barbara,

Thank you, will it tell me where he's buried too?

Sadly, no. The cemeteries close to where he was living would be my first point of call followed by a look at the local papers for a death notice which may have the answer. There is a thing called the Nation Burial Register which is, or was, being compiled but it is several years since I last took any interest in it and at that time is was vey incomplete.

Doug

Thank you Doug, we have no idea where he was living, the last anyone knew he was still on the Isle of Man, how or why his death was recorded in Ware - well no one knows! Do you know if there was another internment camp near Ware? Or maybe it was just the area dealing with all deaths of internees. I did see a lot of graves were dug up and re buried on Cannock Chase, do you know if there is a way to find out if he might be there please?.

My mum - his grand daughter - is the last of her generation, I would have liked her to know we had located his resting place, and if she is up to it, I would take her to visit. I should certainly like to go, if "like" is the right word!

thank you again, Barbara

Barbara,

There may be several ways to find his burial place;

1. The CWGC has details of those buried at Cannock Chase so they could tell you if he is there.

2. This will take you to a German site who may also be able to tell you where he is. I could not seem to get the on-line search to work for me but you can fill out a form. I did not go far enough on it to see if there is any charge involved.

3. If he was registered in Ware then that is likely to be where he was when he died. I can have a look later to see if there is any internment camp near there but I do not recall there being one. If there is no internment camp then he was either in a hospital or he was actually living there. I would be surprised if he was not buried somewhere nearby. Note that although large numbers of enemy aliens were interned, not all stayed interned for the duration and some were even not interned at all.

It would be worth checking the 1911 census to see where he was then.

Doug

• 4 months later...

Could I ask if it is possible to find a list of people who were intered on the IOM?

I am looking for a CHARLES KEITEL/LENA KEITEL and their son CHARLES C KEITEL.

Ant

• 3 months later...

I'm hooked.

I have traced a German relative who lived in the East End of London just prior to 1914. There is no further trace of him after that. I am now thinking he was sent to a POW camp here in England. His name was Charles Lautenberg. His English wife may have remarried in 1920 so it is possible he died whilst in detention. I cannot find any database that contains German Detainees. I have read about the isle of Man POW but I'm told there were many. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my quest has now stopped.

Thanks

Here is the info you want...

There were 207 German interned civilians buried on th Isle of Man during WW1 in both Douglas Cemetery (20) and Kirk Patrick (St Patrick) Churchyard. They came from the camp at Knockaloe.

All the Germans bar one were exhumed and reburied in Cannock Chase German Military Cemetery, Staffordshire in 1960/61 along with the majority (not all) of German casualties in the UK from WW1 and WW2.

There are three Max Mullers amongst them but two are German military and the one civilian must be your relative.

Max Alfred MULLER Interned German Civilian

Died 15.07.18 (date as recorded by CWGC and VdK - is photo clear?)

Buried Block 14 Grave 188

This cemetery is cared for by CWGC on behalf of their German equivalent - VdK.

The one remaining German internee on the Isle of Man is in Douglas Cemetery.

If anyone else wants info on any of the 40,000 foreign nationals in CWGC care worldwide, please let me know as they are not available on the internet database but I have access to the list. CWGC care for all foreign war graves in the UK except the US ones at Cambridge and Brookwood (I also have details of those).

PS. Welcome to the Forum. You will get addicted.

• 1 year later...

Hi I have just discovered that my great grandfather was interned on a camp on the Isle of Man. He was Austrian and his name on the marriage certificate is Charles Bondy, he may have been Karl I am not sure. I have no details of which camp but know that he was sent in 1914. I would be grateful for any ideas on how to find out which camp and if he died there or was deported. I had almost given up on finding anymore information on him after the 1911 census but now have discovered this. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

Sorry I am new to this .--- .I am searching for any information on my grandfather his name is Joseph Halstein. He was interned in the 1924/18 war .We know he died either during the war or just after ,we have no idea where he was interned .My mother (his daughter in law) told me once that he was locked up in the tower of London, I presume she meant -- BY ORDER OFF .We have no death certificate ,do not know when or how he died .My brother and I have been doing out utmost to find information of his life in England .We went to Germany (BUNDENBACH) and saw where he grew up ,but nobody seems to know what happened to him .His children including my father have all passed on ,therefore we have little information . We would be thrilled if we could find any news of him ,I am finding it very emotional now .

Thank you so much in advance if anyone can help

Regards and thanks

JUNEY

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old post but I am trying to trace more information on the six Ottoman Turks that died in Knockaloe and who bodies are still in the local churchyard. I have very strong Turkish connections and are trying to locate the current families. Thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, Peter Farrer said:

I know this is an old post but I am trying to trace more information on the six Ottoman Turks that died in Knockaloe and who bodies are still in the local churchyard. I have very strong Turkish connections and are trying to locate the current families. Thanks in advance

Have you looked at the Red Cross records https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Search You will have to change the drop down boxes to Civilian and Turkish

Charlie

Edited by charlie2