Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

York and Lancs casualty form interpretation

bob21

Hello,

I hope someone can help with interpretation the casualty form of my granddads brother. He served with 2/4th Bn York and Lancs; he was shipped to France in January 1917 and listed ‘missing’ on 3rd May 1917.

The listing of trench feet is obvious but what are the other entries?

Regards,

Bob

post-38701-1225572025.jpg

Hi Bob

WELCOME to the forum

Been looking for the Service Records to look at originals Have I got it right? William H Chapman 201192. What's his d. of b, Pension or Service Records?

Regards Barry

Hi Bob

WELCOME to the forum

Been looking for the Service Records to look at originals Have I got it right? William H Chapman 201192. What's his d. of b, Pension or Service Records?

Regards Barry

Wow! Thanks for the quick response.

Yes you have the right man, date of birth 1881. He is my grandfathers older brother. I think he was killed in the 2/4th Bn. York and Lancs attack at Bullencourt 3rd May 1917.

Regards,

Bob

Useful thread on this here

The first word of the third entry looks like "Rigor" to me

Thank youfor your response. If it is 'Rigors' I found this on the internet:-

Rigors

Description A rigor is an episode of shaking or exaggerated shivering which can occur with a high fever. It is an extreme reflex response which occurs for a variety of reasons. It should not be ignored as it is often a marker for significant and sometimes serious infections (most often bacterial). It is important to recognise the patient's description of a rigor, as the episode is unlikely to be witnessed outside hospital, and to be aware of the possible significance of this important symptom.

Presentation

• History:
    • The sudden attack of severe shivering accompanied by a feeling of coldness ('the chills') is called a rigor and is associated often with a marked rise in body temperature. It may be described by patients as an attack of uncontrollable shaking.
    • A history of rigors should raise suspicion of infection, particularly bacterial infection. Enquiry should be made about:
      • Symptoms suggestive of local infection, particularly respiratory infections, urinary infections, biliary disease, and gastrointestinal infections.
      • Recent surgical procedures.
      • Any relevant past medical history such as rheumatic heart disease.
      • Recent foreign travel.
      • Medication and allergies.
The irony of asking the patient if he has had recent foreign travel is not lost!

• Regards,
  • Bob