Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R.G.A

colin t

Dear sirs,

Im looking for some help for my grandfather,i not much detail to give thus,my grandfather Gunner in the R.G.A.based at Army Corps Barracks Woolwich,last 1901 census details,lived at Cambridge Cottages,Woolwich.his name John (Stanton) Neville 37yrs old.Death aged 51yrs 1915,registration District,Cockermouth and the County of Cumbria,Cumberland,I like to find cause of death if due to war.

Thanks,

Colin.

Suggest you contact the birth,marriages and deaths office for that area and apply for the death certificate,(cost about £7) which will give you cause of death and possibly it may be war related and if so he should be commemorated on the Commonwealthy War Graves site, which he is not. Ralph.

Evening -

there is a JS Neville listed as serving with the RFA, service No.4453 His MIC is online with 1915 service only.

Also a JS Neville's death was registered at Woolwich in 1st qtr 1917 aged 53.

Does this mean anything to you?

There is also a John Neville born in Maryport Cumbria the same year as Woolwich J Neville.

David

Hi all

David or someone, can you explain please, the MIC shows RFC 2AM 4453, Is this the same as the RFA/RGA, I don't know.

Barry

Hi Colin

Suggest you ask for copy of Death Cert for John Neville died 4th qtr 1915 @ Cockermouth Cumbria b.1864, Ancestry shows Volume 10b Page 839.

Regards Barry

Hi Colin

I've just read your previous posts regarding your grandfather last year, now I know a lot more. How have you arrived at the Death in 1915 in Cumbria? aged 51yrs? BMD shows that but also shows John S Neville died 1st qtr 1917 @ Woolwich 1d page 1717. as previously posted.On the 1871 census Henry Neville b.1830 @ Shipdham , Norfolk is with his wife Charlotte b.1835 @ Shipdham with their 4 children. The last entry on the census is JOHN STANTON aged 7 yrs. There isn't a ditto mark to show his name as Neville and it is transcribed as STANTON but listed as their son. Any more info. pse.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your help,i try explain=On my Fathers Birth Certificate showing as John neville and Mother Rose Ann Neville,strange thing is my Fathers middle name also Stanton,checking 1881 and 1901 census both names show.1871 census show Mother as Charlotte, Father Henry and John Stanton Neville as you say,1881 census show family members=Joseph Barker,Charlotte Neville and John Neville....I am using Ancestry for info,run both christain names still come up same except death on J S Neville.Someone sent me copy of 1871 census showing J S Neville.

Regards Colin.

Hi Colin

Thanks for the reply, I don't think you've much option but to send for death certs. and take it from there. If I can help further just ask

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

Thanks for reply,Im going with death of 1915 as my Father had to start work to support his Mother,which be 12 yrs old,must try solve this as Im the only ancester here in uk,suffering brain damage at moment,no problem after i get answers then to find where buried!.

This all started with my fathers Passport as he visit war graves in Belguim.

Thanks speak again,

Regards Colin.

PS just to add my Fathers Passport not carry Stanton name,which very odd.

• 4 years later...

Original poster may have this query resolved by now, but if not, I can rule out the John Neville died Cockermouth district in 1915, as his parents were an Evans Neville and Susannah Scott.