Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mentioned in Dispatches

MrG

I have a "Mentioned in Dispatches" Letter for my Great Uncle Frank who died in France in 1918. It is from the War Office and is signed by Winston Churchill. Is the signature original or some sort of print? Are these common? Where could I find out just what he was mentioned for? Thanks

merve

Hi Mr.G

WELCOME to the forum. If you post the details for Great Uncle Frank, Service number, Regt. etc we will have a chance to to give you an answer.

Regards Barry

I have a "Mentioned in Dispatches" Letter for my Great Uncle Frank who died in France in 1918. It is from the War Office and is signed by Winston Churchill. Is the signature original or some sort of print? Are these common? Where could I find out just what he was mentioned for? Thanks

merve

If your letter is in the form of a card (approx A5/A6) like the one below, I suspect the signature is a print and they are unfortunately fairly common. So far I have been unable to find the reasons for my Grandfather's MiDs.

If the covering letter* is signed by Churchill, you may have something more significant - my Grandmother's letter was signed by an Assistant Military Secretary.

* later edit: Harry's links (see below) suggest that MiD cards were introduced 1919 (as in date on card!), my "covering letter" is dated 1918. It makes no ref to the cards just the MiD gazetting, so can't be the covering letter for the cards.

HTH

David

post-22880-1225570672.jpg

The Churchill signature as with the "signature" of King George V on Memorial Scrolls & PoW Letters is a "Facsimilie" printed onto the documents,Many thousands of these were granted in 1919 for the MiDs prior to the establishment of the Oak Leaf Spray emblem.

The Churchill signature as with the "signature" of King George V on Memorial Scrolls & PoW Letters is a "Facsimilie" printed onto the documents,Many thousands of these were granted in 1919 for the MiDs prior to the establishment of the Oak Leaf Spray emblem.

When was the Oak Leaf emblem introduced? I had rather assumed my Grandfather's must have been lost. Should I stop looking?

David

Very much post War,in the 1920:~ Links:~

MiD Link

MiD Link II

Very much post War,in the 1920:~ Links:~

MiD Link

MiD Link II

Thanks for this information.

My Grandmother received the 2 MiD Certificates when they were introduced - post mortem. Would she also have received the emblem in 1920 when it was introduced?

David

Hi all

Is it not possible then to find out why Mr.G's Great Uncle Frank was MinD? Have read the links but would we be able to find out more if we knew who he was??

Barry

Hi all

Is it not possible then to find out why Mr.G's Great Uncle Frank was MinD? Have read the links but would we be able to find out more if we knew who he was??

Barry

Thanks for all the help. Firstly I have one of the 1919 "cards" so that clears the signature up. Great Uncle Frank was 9037 Pte Fran Wheatcroft of the 1st Btn Dorsetshire Regiment and the card staes "mentioned in dispatches from Field Marshal Sir John French dated 14th January 1915" Does this help?

I was also wondering about the oak leaf as I have his medals and ribbins (granted poshumously and never worn) but no oak leaf.

merve

Hi Merve

I'm posting this so that the experts on the site may pick it up, I presume you know the details (I'd like to know the answer as well!!)

CWGC Pte. 9037 Frank Wheatcroft,28 yrs, 1st Bn. Dorsetshire Regt.Died 13.4.1918. Grave II c 10 Bac-Du-Sud British Cemetery, Bailueulval

If he was Mentioned in Despatches on 14.1.15---Where would he have been????