Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Very kind offer after massive disappointment

Dave Phillips

I'm gutted. :(

Should be in Ypres now enjoying a beer or two.

Car broke down (only 18 months old) on the M1 on Wednesday and we had to come home.

Just heard from Andre at the B@B Hortensia who will not charge me a cancellation fee despite my short notice.

Has anybody else stayed there?

This is a very kind offer as he didn't want to heap any more misery on me.

Such a gesture almost makes up for my absence from Ypres.

I will return next Easter!!!

Dave

I was there in March. André is a real gentleman and will do anything he can to help. And the house is very convenient for either driving in/out of Ypres, and is also within easy staggering distance after a night out in town. :wacko:

Sue

Sorry to hear of your problems. We have stayed at Hortensia a few times. Great cake for breakfast! I hope that your next trip is trouble free.

Regards

John

Hello Dave,

I am sorry to read about your car problems messing up your visit to the Ypres Salient. As it happens you are not the only one in this situation. I guess that most B&B owners are understanding and don't charge a cancellation fee. I know for a tact that i have never made someone pay for a service they didn't get. To me it seems the only logic reaction...

Charlotte

Andre is a very nice guy. If I cannot stay with Charlotte at Varlet Farm - or if I want to stay in the centre of Ieper when I am travelling on my own - then B&B Hortensia is always my first try for accomodation.

Neil

Dave,

Sorry to hear of your car troubles. We went over on the 31st, it poured all day Saturday and we got soaked to the skin...twice.

I am not surprised that you were not charged at the BnB, this seems to be the sort of gesture you would get from anyone in Ypres, very nice people.

I second that:

I had to grumble to Ariane last week about our three rooms not being made up by 3.30PM, two days running, and was given a very comprehensive and totally acceptable reason, rather than the usual 'we are right and the customer is wrong' that one gets from many sources these days.

We were promised that, if we expect to get back early [by battlefield touring standards] we have only to ask and the rooms will be ready for our target time.

Excellent and very personal service.