Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual medals for Arras and Cambrai

Guest clipprr

I have been given a box of medals belonging to family members who fought in the 21 Battalion of the CEF and "A" Coy. 1st/7th Bn., Lancashire Fusiliers.  Both were in France at the end of 1918.  The Canadian survived, the British relative was killed on August 21 and is buried at VIS-EN-ARTOIS MEMORIAL.  I have all of the medals identified now except the two shown on the attachment.  The photos are not great but one is a plane with Cambrai written under it and the other is British tank with Arras written under it.  Does anyone know anything about these?  I'm not sure which one they belong to.

(My first post so I hope I've got the attachment right.)

post-39171-1225415354.jpg

Hi Clipprr, welcome to the forum,

They're not medals, I think they are what you'd call broaches/badges, made as souvenirs for the post war pilgrimages,

Jon

Hiya Clip.

The badges look like village pins.Lots made during & years after the war by many makers.

Sorry I cant help more with that but,here's a link to where one of your men is.

Beautiful stone garden

Dave.

They're not medals, I think they are what you'd call broaches/badges, made as souvenirs for the post war pilgrimages,

Jon

I have seen a few of these but these two are nice with the Tank and Plane on them.

Dan

Jon

That makes sense to me. The surviving soldier spent until April 1919 in Europe and would have had an opportunity to pick them up. The family of the one KIA still live in England and could easily have made a pilgrimage. I'll start chasing that line. Thanks for the help from everyone.