Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldham Soldiers

Guest Carolyn

diane,theres no mention of his service in the SWBs,it must be an error,theres only ref to him being in the royal welsh fusiliers and the sherwoods,he has two medal cards,one under daniel percival and the other under D.P ratcliffe,bernard

Guest DianeHatwell

thanks bernard, you are on the ball!!

i have both his medal cards, thanks to the experts on here, didnt even know that there would be a separate one for his MM. can i ask where you are reading about percy?

thanks

Di

Guest DianeHatwell

Sorry Bernard, you are dealing with an ignoramus here, i am not wiser after your reply. would you mind explaining a bit more, sorry to be dumb

Diane

Diane

Sometimes us "old sweats" use to much jargon here without explaining ourselves properly.

SDGW stands for "Soldiers Died in the Great War". Originally published by the Government in the early 1920s from regimental records. Now available on a very very expensive CD-ROM. Gives basic details of each serviceman (rank, number, unit, etc) as well as where born, enlisted and lived. It pretty much fully searchable - so I could enter, say, all Hartley's who died of wounds in November 1915 at Gallipoli and up would come a list. The CD also has an Officer Died list which doesnt have the born/enlisted/lived info

Your main Local Heritage Library is likely to have a copy of the CD. I was fortunate enough to get mine as a family Xmas pressie a couple of years back.

John

Hey! I knew I got South Wales Borderers from somewhere. :D

See:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...topic=41312&hl=

Presumably the South Wales Borderers was a unit he was in before he went overseas. There is no 35692 listed in the MICs so the soldier with that number did not go overseas with the number.

This could then fit with Percy serving first in the South Wales Borderers (unknown battalion) with whom he did not serve overseas, then with the 19th Royal Welsh Fusiliers (with whom he went overseas), and finally with the 10th Sherwood Foresters (with whom he was killed).

Or else it was a clerical error, and I can't imagine how someone could get Royal Welsh Fusiliers and South Wales Borderers mixed up!!! :lol:

Steve.

Guest DianeHatwell

Steve, you are just uncanny, i just got a parcel of photocopies from my brother who went to the na, and there he is in the SWB, it is a bit unclear whether he was in the territorials or not, will have to read it closer. but that is what happened, as far as i can tell from the documents. it seems that he had his photo on the oldham chronicle too, there is a very sad letter from a woman who lost touch with him and saw his photo in the paper. she had stayed in oldham and he went off to london.

thanks again

Diane

Guest DianeHatwell

sorry, i was so busy absorbing the information that i omitted to say thank you john, that sorted out where that information was from. although we count this man as a member of our family as he was married to my grandmother, he was never mentioned, so we are piecing the puzzle together after all this time.

thanks for your help john

diane