Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldham Soldiers

Guest Carolyn

Guest Carolyn

I said a while back that I was going to go digging in old editions of the Oldham Chronicle.

I came up with information on several Servicemen, some from my family, others nothing to do with my family but I thought that the details may be of use to other Pals.

I will give each man a separate post, which may take a little time and I apologise in advance for the quality of some of the photographs, they didn't come out too well.

Guest Carolyn

18th August 1917, Page 9

SERGEANT THOMAS DONE, Lees

A letter has been received from a Lees soldier which states that "poor Tom Done has been killed." This id thought to refer to Sergt. Thomas DOne , West Riding Regiment, 45, High-street, Lees as the writer was his friend in the same battalion. The date given was Sunday last, but no official confirmation has been received. Sergt. Done was 28 years of age and single. He enlisted on Oldham Wakes Saturday three years ago and had been in service in Egypt, Gallipoli, France, and Salonika before being transferred to another theatre of war. He has been wounded several times. Before enlisting he worked in the cardroom at Westend Mill. He was a well-known Junior Rugby player, and as a product of the Oldham Junior League played for several years with the Oldham A team before being transferred to the Swinton club.

22nd August 1917, Page 5

SERGEANT THOMAS DONE, LEES

The unofficial report of the death in action of Sergeant Thomas Done, Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, of 45 High-street, Lees, has been confirmed by the receipt on Tuesday of the following letter from a chaplain:-

"Dear Mr Done, - I am writing a line to you to express my deep sympathy with you on the death of your dear son, Sergeant Thomas Done of this regiment, and of course your son knew me well. He was killed instantaneously by a shell, so he was spared the pain of a lingering death. Your grief must be great, but remember that your gallant son died a hero's death, died in the very fore-front of the battle. He gave his life for his country and in the cause of freedom. I was unable to bury him before the battalion came out of the line, but the burial officer will see to that and that he gets a reverent burial and that his grave is marked. Your one consolation in your loss is that your gallant son still lives, and lives a fuller life now than he ever did this side of the veil. May God comfort and support you.

4th September 1917, Page 7

(Caption underneath photograph):

SERGEANT THOMAS DONE

Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, killed August 12, Aged 26. Home address: 45, High-street, Lees.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Done (12029, 8th Bn. Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment) was my Great Grandfather's brother. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, he died on 11/08/1917, was a Corporal (compare with his rank as detailed by the Oldham Chronicle) and his age was "unknown". He is commemorated on the Menin Gate memorial at Ypres so it looks like he never did get the burial in a marked grave that the chaplain spoke of.

I found his baptism record last week at the Oldham Studies Centre which shows that he was baptised on 26/09/1888 which indicates that he was probably around 29 when he died.

post-1-1078580020.jpg

Guest Carolyn

7th September 1916, Page 3

PRIVATE J. W. BANNISTER

Private John William Bannister, King's Liverpool Regiment, was killed in action on August 8th. He was a moulder in the employ of Messrs. Platt Brothers and Company before enlisting, and leaves a widow and one child, who reside at 72, Brunlees-street, Hollinwood.

9th September 1916, (Page 6 or 7)

PRIVATE J. W. BANNISTER, Hollinwood

Private John William Bannister, King's Liverpool Regiment, was killed in action on August 8th. He was a moulder in the employ of Messrs. Platt Brothers and Company before enlisting, and leaves a widow and one child, who reside at 72, Brunlees-street, Hollinwood. Bannister was 23 years of age and had been on active service 18 months, being a member of the trench mortar battery.

14th September 1916, Page 3

(Caption under photograph):

PRIVATE JOHN WILLIAM BANNISTER

King's Liverpool Regiment, killed in action on August 8th, aged 23 years. Home address: 72, Brunlees-street, Hollinwood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John William Bannister (28237, 1st Bn. King's Liverpool Regiment) was killed in action on August 8th at Guillemont and was my Great Grandfather. He was born on 02/03/1893 in Burnley and lived most of his life in Oldham. The widow and child referred to were his wife Jane and daughter Annie. He also had another child from a previous relationship - this was Walter Walch, my late grandfather.

He is commemorated on the Memorial at Thiepval.

post-1-1078583888.jpg

Guest Carolyn

10th December 1918, Page 8

L CPL JAMES HARROP, LEES

Official news has been received that Lance-corporal James Harrop 1/10 Manchester Regiment of 19, Victoria-street, Lees, son of William Harrop of 6 Constantine-street, Greenacres, was killed by a gas shell on November 7. He joined the army in October, 1915, and served one year and eight months in France. Before enlisting he was employed at the Central Mill, Oldham. One brother is still serving in France, one has been invalided home through wounds, and one discharged.

Guest Carolyn

ACTING SERGT. THOMAS WALKER

Acting Sergt. Thomas Walker, 1/10 Manchester Regiment, of 25, Stoneleigh-street, Derker, was killed in action on Nov. 7. He was a single man, 28 years of age, and when mobilised with the Territorials in August, 1914, was a piecer at the Equitable Mill.

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE WILLIAM HAYES

Private William Hayes, Lancashire Fusiliers, 12, SMith-street, Oldham, was killed in action on October 22. He was 24 years of age, and had been in the army since March, 1916, and previously worked at Victoria Mill. He was o leave three weeks before he was killed, and had been wounded in June last.

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE ERNEST RATCLIFFE, CHADDERTON

Private Ernest Ratcliffe, Manchester Regiment, 7a, Denton-lane, Chadderton, was killed in action on Nov. 4. He was 26 years of age, joined the army in May this year and previously worked for the Oldham Hide, Skin and Fur Co.

Guest Carolyn

8th September 1917, Page 9

PRIVATE ROBERT HARROP

Information has been received by Mrs Harrop of 41, Magdala-street, Oldham, that her husband, Private Robert Harrop, of the Royal Welsh FUsiliers, was killed in action on August 22. He joined the army in October of last year, previous to which he was a commercial traveller for Messrs. S. Mellor and Sons, wholesale grocers, and he was closely connected with King-street Independent Methodist Church and Sunday School. He was 33 years of age.

Guest Carolyn

21st August 1918, Page 7

PRIVATE WILLIAM HARROP

Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment, missing since July 21, 1917, now presumed killed, aged 20. Home address: 57, New Earth-street, Oldham.

post-1-1078585658.jpg

Guest Carolyn

21st August 1918, Page 8

PRIVATE ROLAND HARROP, LEES

Mrs Harrop, 28, Sunny Bank-road, Lees, has received news of the death of her husband, Private Roland Harrop, Manchester Regiment. A sergeant of his company wrote that Private Harrop died of wounds before he could receive medical aid. The deceased was 28 years of age and joined the army about 12 months ago. Previously, he was a minder at the Leesbrook Mill. He had been associated with Zion United Methodist Sunday School and for many years was secretary of the Band of Hope, a SUnday School teacher and a member of the chapel choir.

Guest Carolyn

14th September 1918

LANCE CORPORAL RICHARD HARROP

Lance Corporal Richard Harrop, Lancashire Fusiliers, of 8, Foster-street, Oldham, is in hospital at Portsmouth suffering from the effects of gas poisoning sustained in the recent fighting. Before joining the army in October 1915, her was a clerk for Messrs. Hardman, Ingham and Dawson Ltd., Bankside-street, Oldham. He was connected with the Independent Methodist Church, King-street.

Guest Carolyn

18th August 1917, Page 9

GUNNER P. S. WOOD, Delph

Mr. James Henry Wood, of Palin Wood House, Delph, received official word on Sunday that his son, Gunner Percy Sager Wood, R.F.A, was killed in action on June 7. He was 23 years of age, and formerly worked as a woolen operative at Marsden. He joined the colours in August, 1915, and had been at the front for over a year.

Guest Carolyn

24th August 1917, Page 9

PRIVATE WILLIAM FIELDING, Newhey

Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Fielding, of Top'o'th' Hill Farm, Newhey, have received official information that their son, Private William Fielding, Lancashire Fusiliers, who was reported missing since October 12, 1916, is now presumed killed on or about that date. Private Fielding was 19 years of age, and prior to enlisting in April, 1916, was employed by Messrs. A. & A. Crompton, Shaw. He was connected with the Ogden Baptist Chapel and School, Newhey, and his name was on theor roll of honour.

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE ALFRED N ALGER

Private Alfred Noah Alger, of the Manchester Regiment, was killed in action on August 31st, succumbing to to gunshot wounds through the head. He was 25 years of age, and he enlisted on February 19th, prior to which he was a minder at the Kent Mill, Chadderton, residing with his parents at 358, Burnley-lane, Chadderton before joining the colours.

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE MARK BOTTOMLEY

Private Mark Bottomley, of the East Lancashire Regiment, who had previously been reported missing, is now reported to have been killed in action in July. Bottomley was 35 years of age, and at the time of his enlistment resided at 13 Osborne-street, Oldham. He leaves a widow and one daughter, the latter aged 11 months, and it is a sad feature that the deceased never saw his little girl, being drafted to the front just before her birth. Mrs Bottomley now lives at 34, St. Mary-street, Oldham. Her husband enlisted in March, 1915, and went to the front in August of that year. He was a minder at Messrs. Samuel Hague and Company's Newland Mill before joining the army.

Guest Carolyn

14th September 1914, Page 2

SERGEANT WILLIAM EMERY

King's Own Scottish Borderers, of 18, Mellor-street, Failsworth, who has been awarded the D.C.M for bravery

post-1-1078588001.jpg

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE FRANK SWIFT

Manchester Regiment, Killed in action on Sept. 1st, (date unclear due to bad print!) aged 18 years. Home address 114 Greengate-street, Oldham.

post-1-1078588249.jpg

Guest Carolyn

CORPORAL WILLIAM A LOWE

(14833), (number unclear) Manchester Regiment, killed in action on Sept. 1st, aged 19 years. Home address, 29, Bropton-street, Oldham.

post-1-1078588502.jpg

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE GEORGE BARLOW

West Riding Regiment, 3 House, 2 Court, Bardsley-street, Waterhead, died of wounds on August 23rd, aged 21 years.

post-1-1078588742.jpg

Guest Carolyn

PRIVATE HAROLD WRIGLEY

King's Liverpool Regiment, died of wounds on August 28th, aged 23 years. Home address, 29, Heap-street, Oldham.

post-1-1078588899.jpg

Hi Carolyn,

Read your posts with interest-you may know (but if you dont) the local studies library has collected all the photos of Oldham fatalities from the Chron for the Great War period and have them available on request. Might save you a bit of searching for the elusive photo.

Anthony ;)

• 1 year later...
Guest DianeHatwell

Caroline, I read your list with interest. I have a Daniel Percival Ratcliffe, who was an Oldham boy, still living there in 1901 as a 14 year old, who is not mentioned on the Oldham memorial (hearsay here, I havent looked personally) not is he on your list. I know he did not enlist from Oldham as he had moved away, and dont know if the family were still in the area, but am not sure who to talk to about having him perhaps added to the memorial. He died in France in June 1918.

Diane

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DianeHatwell

Thanks Bernard, i think he was with the royal welch fusiliers at that time, his MM was gazetted in Jan 1917. The Ratcliffes are a bit confusing, is there another Daniel Percival?

Diane

diane,it says that daniel was born in oldham,enlisted in london and was living in islington,middlesex,he was in the 10th batt sherwood foresters,private 74172,died of wounds 8-6-18,he previously served as private 35692 south wales borderers,bernard