Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WA Durana, WA Durand, WA Durrant of the RAngers

Anthony Gorst

Dear All

Still after the last few on my memoorial and having picked up some valuable tips from the forum tried again with the above - he is on the Poly memorial as WA Durand (no trace on CWGC), there are two MICs with his service number (got from the Poly Roll) one for WA Durana, the other for WA Durrand: he appears to have been commissioned. Neeither MIC gives a date of death (or indeed anyting beyond the bare bones. Still no trace on CWGC. So

1) I guess I'd be correct in assuming Durand, Durana and Durrand are one and the same

2) I'm looking at someone who didn't meet CWGC criteria but met the Poly criteria

3) or potentialy a non-commemorated.

All thoughts on a way forward gratefully received......

edit MICs don't give the unit into which he is commissioned so I am assuming it is 12th London Rangers

Don't know how to post a link, but if you look at London Gazette 30124 page 5730 there is a 2/Lt W.A. Durand, Royal Warwick Regiment, who relinquishes his commission on account of ill-health contracted on active service and is granted the honorary rank of 2/Lt. 12th June 1917.

That would fit in with the MIC card of W.A. Durana, who seems to be comssioned in 1915, according to that card.

If you have trouble finding it search for "Durand" in World War 1 on the London Gazette site. It will pop up eventually!

Cheers,

Dave

Dave

The forum never fails to amaze me. Thanks a lot for your efforts - I'll have a look at the Gazette. I've just realised I mistyped Durrant in the header - should be Durrand (Doh - comes of thinking of all the potential variants of the name to punch into the CWGC)

His service file is held at the National Archives:

WO 374/21423: DURAND, 2/Lieut W A - 1914-1917

Stuart

BMD records show the death of a William A DURAND, age 27, in Reigate district in Apr-May-Jun 1918 (Vol. 2a, Page 296).

This was probably the William Alfred DURAND, born in Worcester in Q3 1890.

Possibly married Nellie McCormack in West Ham in Q4 1916, or less likely May B Hunt in Bristol in Q1 1918.

Can't find him on CWGC, if this is your man. You may have a non-com, depending on the cause of death.

Adrian

Possibly married Nellie McCormack in West Ham in Q4 1916, or less likely May B Hunt in Bristol in Q1 1918.

It looks like it is May Bertha Hunt.

Stuart