Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal West Surrey's (The Queen's)

bcross

My wife's father was Pte. G/69008 Royal West Surrey (The Queen's), he was 18 on 7/10/1917 and we believe he was called up after this, very strong family recollections say that he suffered from mustard gas, was blind for 6 weeks and was in Rouen Hospital. Previous attempts at discovering any other details about his was service, which battalion etc has failed. War Office records say his details were lost during the blitz. Any help whatsoever will be greatly appreciated.

His medal card can be found at the National Archives Medal Card.

Bob

Hi B Cross

WELCOME to the forum. The MIC card on Ancestry Frederick W Hills Pte G/69008 Queens Regt,

Victory and British Medal Roll G/1/101 B18 Page 3468, No address given. Have you got any further details such as d. of. b. Place, Parents, Wife?, children, address when enlisting..It will then be possible to check on Ancestry as docs. are frequently found by tracing relatives first.

Regards, Barry

Apologies, presuming his birthday is 7th Oct then he was born appx 1899. Was this in Willesborough Kent father, Arthut mthr Mary J both b.1864.-1901 census

Barry

Hi B Cross

WELCOME to the forum. The MIC card on Ancestry Frederick W Hills Pte G/69008 Queens Regt,

Victory and British Medal Roll G/1/101 B18 Page 3468, No address given. Have you got any further details such as d. of. b. Place, Parents, Wife?, children, address when enlisting..It will then be possible to check on Ancestry as docs. are frequently found by tracing relatives first.

Regards, Barry

Apologies, presuming his birthday is 7th Oct then he was born appx 1899. Was this in Willesborough Kent father, Arthut mthr Mary J both b.1864.-1901 census

Barry

Hi, Thanks for such a prompt reply. Frederick William Hills was born 7 October 1899 in Lissom Grove, Marylebone but moved to Islington about 1903. His parents were Peter and Ellen Louisa Hills. He was single. He joined the staff of Islington Borough Council at the Town Hall, as a messenger boy in 1913, and left them to join the army and returned after his army service and stayed there until his death in 1956 by which time he was Assistant Town Clerk. The town hall have no record of him leaving them for the army.

Funnily enough, my wife who is a serious genealogist (beats me how someone can get so carried away on one subject!) says that the Frederick William Hills you found in Willesborough is actually a relative of my father-in-law.

Hi again

Just for the record they were living at 8 Marylebone St, Islington in 1901, they were my second choice!!!

Presume you know all the family history. Thanks for the reply, will keep looking

Barry

BC

The Medal Roll reference G/1/101B18 page 3468 can be linked to the original Medal Roll in the WO329 series at Kew,and here will be shown the Battalion he served in which gave him eligibility for the medals. A visit is necessary as there is no electronic link,as yet,if ever !

Sotonmate

BC

The Medal Roll reference G/1/101B18 page 3468 can be linked to the original Medal Roll in the WO329 series at Kew,and here will be shown the Battalion he served in which gave him eligibility for the medals. A visit is necessary as there is no electronic link,as yet,if ever !

Sotonmate

Thank you to everyone who answered my query, I think a trip to Kew is going to have to be fairly soon, to look up the medal rolls. This was my first post and I found it very interesting and informative.

Just being pedantic - it's "Lisson Grove" (with an "n").

Noel