Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Calling Relatives of Canadian Casualties

Terry Denham

The Canadian High Commission in London is putting out the request posted below.

They are looking for UK citizens with a relative who died with the Canadian forces in WW1 to attend a commemorative ceremony this year. Her Majesty will be in attendance. There must be thousands of qualifying relatives out there.

Ninety years since the Armistice. Lest we Forget

Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a special ceremony at Canada House (November 4) to launch Vigil 1914-1918, a unique transatlantic remembrance project.

Vigil 1914-1918 – the joint vision of one of Canada’s foremost actors/directors RH Thomson and world renowned lighting designer Martin Conboy – will run for seven nights, commencing November 4 and ending on November 11, a date that this year marks the 90th anniversary of the First World War armistice.

Paying homage to the 68,000 Canadians killed in the First World War, it involves the projection of each name, in Ottawa, on Canada’s National War Memorial, through the generous support of Veterans Affairs Canada, and, in London, on the external façade of Canada House, fronting Trafalgar Square.

The vigil – in Canada and here in Trafalgar Square – can be viewed in person or in real time at www.1914-1918.ca.

Mindful of historic Canada-UK ties, we encourage British families whose relatives fought and died with the Canadian Expeditionary Force in the First World War, to use the search functions at www.1914-1918.ca to find the exact night and time that individual names will appear at this vigil.

Dedicated computers are available in the Canada House public information centre should you wish to visit the Vigil website and search individual names.

The Canadian High Commission is proud to stand behind the activities in London, of importance not only because the Canadian Expeditionary Force fought under British and Allied command, but also because thousands of these young men were British-born, who had emigrated to Canada. Indeed, 70 per cent of those in the First Canadian Contingent were British-born.

Many of Canada’s fallen still have family in the United Kingdom.

The Canadian High Commission would like to hear from any families interested in this unique remembrance projection.

Shelley.Thomas@international.gc.ca

Useful link

Vigil 1914-1918 dedicated website

www.1914-1918.ca

Thanks Terry, I have emailed Shelley. And thanks to EJC for flagging this up to me.

Norrette

Following this call for relatives of UK men who served in the CEF on the Great War Forum, Ulsterlad (Robert Lindsay) and myself found ourselves at the Canada House reception in London today. The reception was hosted by the Canadian High Commissioner and attended by Her Majesty the Queen.

The Embassy took such effort to make the day special for us, my family's (and I'm sure Robert's) gratitude is endless. One of many highlights was to hear the names of Ernest Borrow and Robert Lindsay read out in the speech to the Queen by R. H. Thomson.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/AL...yY4MTrX_L3cPqmg

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonis...44-f9ede1846d90

My thanks to Canada for such memorable and honourable moments which I shall never forget. I'm sure Robert will make a posting when he gets back home, he has a lot further to travel. (Robert, your interview is in the second of these links B) )

also

Video link here :- Film Clip

CTV.ca Story

Norrette

I am glad you made it. I would love to have been there.

Ed

As a Canadian I am proud that our High Commission in London has put on a good show for UK residents or citizens who had a relative in the CEF.

John

Toronto

If any more of you have a relative that died in service with the CEF, you should know you can still see their name on the virtual memorial.

There is a place on the website where you can search for the exact time your ancestor's name will be projected.

It is terribly dissapointing that St. John's did not take part. The Great War still remains very much in the mindset of the Newfoundlanders.

It is terribly dissapointing that St. John's did not take part. The Great War still remains very much in the mindset of the Newfoundlanders.

Perhaps they made up for it in the second "show", EJC. I talked to a vet from Newfoundland last night, think he was chairman of the UK Canadian Veterans group. He said Italy was pretty rough - but then we got interrupted and didn't finish our conversation. (But it would be off-topic for GWF anyway).

Thanks again for initially raising this thread to my attention :)

Norrette

(Robert, your interview is in the second of these links B) )

:D Ah, my name in print. I see my Great-grand uncle Robert has been promoted to just Great Uncle. :D

What to say about yesterday?

Thank you Canada for a day that I'll never forget.

Thank you Canada for remembering.

• 2 months later...

I have just received a 'thank you' from the Canadian High Commission to pass on to those who attended this function and to GWF and its members for helping to make it happen.

Well done all.

Hi Terry. That's great to hear. Thanks again for bringing the Vigil 1914 -1918 project to my attention.

It was the most memorable day for myself and, I'm sure, NPM.