Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Widow of Veteran - Benefits

Broznitsky

My English grandfather died in 1924 in London; at the time I believe he was receiving a pension that began in 1916.

Would his widow (my grandmother) have been entitled to a lump sum payout, or a continuation of his pension after his death?

If yes to the above, would she have had to apply for this, and is there a document repository that would hold her application, so that I could get a copy of it?

Peter in Vancouver

My grandmother -according to my mother- recieved some form of a pension based on the service of my grandfather who died in 1930. Whether that was a lump sum or a few extra shillings a week I don't know. Have posted on separation allowances before, I'll check the 1920's newspapers for any adverts to this end.

I've a letter from the pensions office to South Belfast soldier asking he remembered a certain man being injured in certain battle as he had claimed for a war injury benefit.

My English grandfather died in 1924 in London; at the time I believe he was receiving a pension that began in 1916.

Would his widow (my grandmother) have been entitled to a lump sum payout, or a continuation of his pension after his death?

If yes to the above, would she have had to apply for this, and is there a document repository that would hold her application, so that I could get a copy of it?

Peter in Vancouver

As I understand it, prior to 1939 (3 September in fact), the separate Ministries were responsible for the pensions paid to the disabled veterans and their dependants. Post 3SEP39, the Department of Social Security (later DHSS) took responsibility for the administration of the war pensions (though the actual transfer did not take place until several years later).

I would think that any pension payable after 3SEP39 would have had the file transferred to the DHSS and you should apply to them (probably through the PRO). Failing that try the Department of Defence (as the inheritors of the Ministry documents).

Individual Ministries (and later the Defence Department) were responsible for those personnel who did not serve in the British Forces but were regarded as wounded/killed in the service of the King such as the Indian Army (British Officers seconded to the IA as well as British subjects serving in the Indian Army), KAR, WIR, etc.

Edward