Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn East Surreys

gcvoelker

Hello,

Welcome to the Forum. I presume that you are looking for information on the 12th Battalion of the East Surrey Regiment judging from your first post in an East Surrey thread. This has appeared in a new thread and other members will not see the connection with the East Surreys either in the title or the text; I am not sure if you can edit the title of this thread. and you may be better with a repost. Not my area however but best of luck with the search

Ian

gcv

The 12th East Surreys lost four Privates on the 5.4.1917,they are occupying Graves AA37 to AA40 at Dickebush,so it seems to have been something like a shell burst. How do you know your subject was a Cook ? Could they all have been Cooks ? Could it have been a direct hit on the Field Kitchen ? The War Diary at Kew might have an answer,it is WO95/2634.

For interest,and, maybe with a name such as yours you might live nearby the cemetery,the others are: 6836 Hammond AA38:12187 Lewington AA39,and 25585 Seagrief AA40.

Sotonmate

Spot on with the assumption that it was a single shell that killed them. Aston and Duggan: ""The enemy shelled our reserve line and P & O Trench heavily late at night, killinng 4 of our cooks and wounding another with one shell which landed direct on their cookhouse. The dead were Ptes. J Seagrief, J Hammond, A Latter and A E Lewington"