Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Off to Ieper

johnreed

Got back this afternoon, sorry I missed everybody, but was in the bar a bit.

Tony,

Probably like a lot of people missed you in the flesh but I heard you as I was in the crowd on Monday night at the Menin Gate......had one or two problems over there which I won't bore the forum with!!!!

But it was emotional!

Tony,

Seemed all right to me.....at least you were under some sort of cover.....on my coach was a 87 year old RM veteran from WW2 who tripped up on Monday night in Ypres just before the pick up so had to do a bit of first aid on the coach but he still wanted to take part in the veterans paprade so I said I would walk with him...nice combination of red and green berets!!!....both made it so we ended up on the out of town side of the Menin Gate on the open bridge over the moat.....trying later to get my photos off the camera so will post a couple......

NC

It was so nice to see Sabine, Soren, Jacky, Paul Reed and Chris Lock it was a most memorial 4 days spent in Ieper. I took a lot of photographs of which here are a few.

John

Photo 2

John

post-1365-1226696143.jpg

post-1365-1226696262.jpg

post-1365-1226696288.jpg

Niall,

sounds like it was a good job they had you with them as Medic! Hope that the old chap was alright. The combination of red and green has always been formidable.

Thanks for sharing the photographs.

Niall,

sounds like it was a good job they had you with them as Medic! Hope that the old chap was alright. The combination of red and green has always been formidable.

Thanks for sharing the photographs.

Tony,

Thanks...old boy was ok after a bit of a clean up and a tot of rum from an Arctic Convoy vet also on the bus.....he had a brand of 'navy' rum that I'd never heard of before but I think it was triple triple strength....so as you see I had a few colourful people with me!!!

Tony

Sorry I missed you, no idea how; I was in the bar & smoking room at Arriane until about 02:00hr on the night of the 11th.

. . . . had one or two problems over there. . . . .

N Cherry

You wouldn't by chance be the gentleman with the hat I was speaking to after the 20:00 ceremony?

Andy

Andy,

Watched the bands march up to the gate but after that only lasted until about 23.00 hrs in the bar/smoking room at the Ariane. Had a very early start on the 11th, left the hotel at 07.30 hrs and after the morning's ceremonies, a rather long lunch..........

Perhaps we were too p*ss*d to recognise each other!

Perhaps we were too p*ss*d to recognise each other!

I must admit they did have a rather fine selection of scotch whisky :wacko:

Oh well, see you there next year?

Andy

Sounds like I missed some of the fun. Good to see Graham Parker and Jo, though I think he had to behave, sad news about Bertie Whitmore.

Mart

I do believe I saw you laying a wreath, even if I didn't see you in the bar

Andy

Andy

Yes was under the Gate with wreath, seems to be the usual suspects laying wreaths year on year. Very sorry I missed you.

Mart

Tony

Sorry I missed you, no idea how; I was in the bar & smoking room at Arriane until about 02:00hr on the night of the 11th.

N Cherry

You wouldn't by chance be the gentleman with the hat I was speaking to after the 20:00 ceremony?

Andy

Andy,

Depends- I recall I was wearing a hat on both Monday and Tuesday nights......Monday it was a 'baseball' type cap and on Tuesday my red beret......

NC