Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Would the Imperial War museum..

foolish_fire

Hello, I've had a look around the internet and this forum seams to be what i'm looking for.

I have some service records of my great uncle from when he served on the submarines and was wondering if the IWM would be interested in taking copy's. I don't even know if IWM do keep a documentation of those who served in WW1, or that they would even be interested in these papers. It would be a shame if no-one was cataloging all the records.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

It would be better if they were augmented by personal letters, diaries, photos etc relating to your great uncle's war service. His service record on its own would be of limited interest to a researcher - assuming it's available at The National Archives at Kew.

Moonraker

It would be better if they were augmented by personal letters, diaries, photos etc relating to your great uncle's war service. His service record on its own would be of limited interest to a researcher - assuming it's available at The National Archives at Kew.

Moonraker

I don't have any personal letters or diaries sadly, but I do have some photos, one of which has about 10 crewmen in it also. There's also a paybook form WW2 when he was in the Pioneer corps, and a few other odds and sods

An alternative might be the Liddle Collection, Brotherton Library, Leeds University...... not leasy because its nearer to me!

Edwin