Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Richard Eddy NZEF Ausi connection?

Billyvan

I have been looking into my familys WW1 service, and also decided to have a look at my wifes side of the family as well.

I thought my side had its share of puzzles to work out, but this side is even better.

I have started with my wifes great grandfather, one Richard Eddy, born 21 Jan 1891, died 14 Nov 1946.

We have a book that covers the family tree, and some personal history of some of the family "Cornishmen & Kiwis" by David C.A. Eddy ISBN 0-473-06022-1.

This book says

"He volunteered for WW1 with his brother David, embarked on 8 January 1916 but was invalided back from Sydney and discharged from the army"

But the only Richard Eddy that sort of fits in the Cenotaph search is

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/g...riginalID=73648

The issue with this record is it is mostly correct, but has a fiew inconsistancies.

Fristly I have no record of him having a middle name.

Then there is the next of Kin, his father was William Henry Eddy, but there is no record of him residing in the North Island of NZ, which is where kaipara is.

And Lastly it has him as born in Australia, which I know for sure is not the case, but could of course be linked to the fact he was sent home from Ausi, according to the family history.

So I guess I am on the hunt for more info.

There are two Richard Eddy's on the Archway site,

Eddy, Richard, WW1 -23/414 ARMY

Eddy, Richard John - WW1 17347 ARMY

So I guess I will have to pin down exactually which one he is before I request his service records.

I am lucky enough that I have Richards brother (Davids) service number from the book, so I should be able to easier get his info.

If anyone has a way of confirming which Archway record is the one I want, that would be great.

Hi, Alex

On the nominal roll thre are two listings for men naed Richard Eddy.

Firstly a second division man on the reserves list,

Surname EDDY

Given Name Richard

Category Second Reserves

Last NZ Address Rhodes St Waimate

Occupation Treefeller

Classification C

Then this one. Same as on the cenotaph. But, as you say, born in Australia!

Surname EDDY

Given Name Richard John

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 2

Regimental Number 17347

Rank Rifleman

Next of Kin Title W H

Next of Kin Surname EDDY

Next of Kin Relationship Father

Next of Kin Address Batley Kaipara

Comment Born in Australia

Roll 37

Page 17

Occupation Labourer

Could that be him? Were the family Catholic by any chance? Reason for asking is that when you're confirmed you pick up a saint's name as a middle name.

That being said, I could have sworn a great swear that my great-uncle Jock didn't have a middle name. He didn't use it when he enlisted... but it turned out he had one.

Allie

I've found Richard John Eddy who died in Te Aroha aged 78 in 1974. It lists his place of birth as Australia. So I'd say that the Australia on his nominal roll listing is not an error to do with being sent home from Sydney. He married in 1919 to Louisa May King.

Is it possible that the book lists the wrong brother?

Also in Canterbury we have:

Surname EDDY

Given Name Stephen Harvey

Category Nominal Rolls Vol 4

Regimental Number 68597

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs Elizabeth

Next of Kin Surname EDDY

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address Doyleston Canterbury

Roll 80

Page 7

Occupation Farmer

I tried just searching for next of kin named Eddy, in case he'd enlissted under another name, but I'm still only getting the same men.

I've also tried the AIF in case he enlisted in Australia. But none of the men match.

Richard Eddy

Regimental number 972

Religion Methodist

Occupation Labourer

Address Barley Street, West Coolgardie, Western Australia

Marital status Married

Age at embarkation 49

Next of kin Wife, Mrs Agnes Eddy, Barley Street, West Coolgardie, Western Australia

Enlistment date 29 September 1915

Rank on enlistment Private

Unit name Australian Remount Unit 1, Squadron 4

AWM Embarkation Roll number 28/2/1

Embarkation details Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board Transport A67 Orsova on 12 November 1915

Rank from Nominal Roll Private

Unit from Nominal Roll 1st Remount Unit

Fate Returned to Australia 20 November 1916

Other details Medals: 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Richard Eddy

Regimental number 3723

Religion Methodist

Occupation Painter

Address Bain Street, Port Melbourne, Victoria

Marital status Single

Age at embarkation 18

Next of kin Mother, Mrs E Eddy, Bain Street, Port Melbourne, Victoria

Enlistment date 9 July 1915

Unit name 7th Battalion, 12th Reinforcement

AWM Embarkation Roll number 23/24/3

Embarkation details Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A40 Ceramic on 23 November 1915

Rank from Nominal Roll Private

Unit from Nominal Roll 60th Battalion

Fate Killed in Action 19 July 1916

Place of burial No known grave

Commemoration details V.C. Corner (Panel No 20), Australian Cemetery Memorial, Fromelles, France

Panel number, Roll of Honour,

Australian War Memorial 167

Richard William Cyril Eddy

Regimental number 442

Religion Church of England

Occupation Miner

Address Weatherall Street, California Gully, Victoria

Marital status Single

Age at embarkation 18

Next of kin ..., Richard Eddy, Weatherall Street, California Gully, Victoria

Enlistment date 11 September 1914

Date of enlistment from Nominal Roll 10 September 1914

Unit name 14th Battalion, D Company

Embarkation details Unit embarked from Melbourne, Victoria, on board HMAT A38 Ulysses on 22 December 1914

Rank from Nominal Roll Lance Corporal

Unit from Nominal Roll 14th Battalion

Recommendations (Medals and Awards) Military Medal

Recommendation date: 8 July 1918

Fate Returned to Australia 21 December 1918

Medals Military Medal

'For conspicuous gallantry at HAMEL WOOD, south east of CORBIE on 4th July, 1918. This N.C.O. was in charge of a Section carrying barbed wire and was himself loaded with a coil of wire. Immediately on leaving the jumping off tape he was severely wounded, one arm being rendered useless. Despite his wound he led his Section to the dump arriving with a complete load, and carrying on to his objective disposed his men on their line. At this stage he collapsed from strain and loss of blood. He set an inspiring example and concealed the severity of his wound until his task was completed.'

Source: 'Commonwealth Gazette' No. 23

Date: 12 February 1919

Other details War service: Egypt, Gallipoli, Western Front

Medals: Military Medal, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal

Allie

Searching the nominal roll CDrom using the service number of the men you found listed on the NZ Archives brings up an interesting event.

Eddy, Richard, WW1 -23/414 ARMY is not listed - it says 'No records found matching your search criteria'. It seems we've found one of the errors on the CDrom. I have a feeling that the cenotaph used this as a basis for the men listed on their site, hence him being missing on there as well.

Does anyone have the paper copy of the roll and can find him listed? Other than that, Alex, as you suggested, someone may need to look at the file for you in Wellington.

Allie

Thanks Allie for your help on this one, but it looks like it's going to be a bit of a puzzle until I can clarify which one he actually is, according to Archives.

This is his brothers details according to the Cenotaph.

http://muse.aucklandmuseum.com/databases/g...riginalID=61207

As I mentioned earlier, there are some hard to ignore similarities around next of kin!

I have just realised that my Sister in Law is living in wellington at the moment, so hopefully with his DOB and details, I may be able to get her to confirm/rule out Richard Eddy 23/414.

How did the numbering system work? just seems a big difference between 23/414 and his brothers David as 6/3694, as they were both living in Canterbury when they are supposed to have signed up, and about the same time apparently.

The first ten groups of men to leave New Zealand had a **/ prefix in their service number. It's helpful because it identifies which regiment they were attached to.

6/ were the Canterbury Infantry

whilst

23/ were men in the 1st Battalion, N.Z. Rifle Brigade.

After the 10th reinforcements, the men were just allocated a straight ***** number sequentially, so you can't tell from their number what regiment they were with. Besides which, as the war progressed, men were assigned to whichever regiment needed men, rather than to the regiment of the Military District in which they lived.

I think this worked (as in it referring up to the 10th reinforcements) for the Infantry and Mounted Rifles, but not for the Rifle Brigade, as I have a feeling they were formed after the others and thus had less reinforcements before they switched to the plain **** numbers.

Edit Yes, the New Zealand Rifle Brigade units weren't formed until April 1915 whereas the Infantry and Mounted Rifles were formed in August 1914.

Allie

Billyvan

I don't have a copy of Cornishmen & Kiwi's in front of me as I write, but was your Richard Eddy (son of William Henry Eddy) born in Cornwall? If so, I will check out some records which may confirm his full name.

Rob

Billyvan

I don't have a copy of Cornishmen & Kiwi's in front of me as I write, but was your Richard Eddy (son of William Henry Eddy) born in Cornwall? If so, I will check out some records which may confirm his full name.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Our Richard Eddy was the 10th child of William Henry and Margaret Jane Eddy, and was born in New Zealand.

William and Margaret had 15 kids, if you count the last adopted grandson, and the first 3 were born in Cornwall.

Thanks for the offer Rob, but I don't think there will be any mention of Richard in Cornwall.

Cheers

Alex

Did your Eddy family live in Irwell?

I've got school records for some children attending school in Irwell, with the parent/guardian being WH Eddy or William Henry Eddy.

Walter Henry Eddy attended Irwell school from 3 Sept 1912 - 22 Dec 1916. DOB 19 Oct 1906. Parent/guardian: WH Eddy He then went to Southbridge school, before returning to Irwell school in March of 1917.

Margaret Mona Eddy also attended Irwell school. She attended from 26 July 1909 - 17 November 1916. Parent/guardian William Henry Eddy.

That being said, one William Henry Eddy married in 1874 (not necessarily in NZ), and another married in 1897. The elder died in 1931, whilst William Henry Eddy (Junior) died in 1933. So I'm guessing William Henry (Junior) was one of the elder children amongst the 15, and thus Walter Henry and Margaret Mona may have been nephew and neice to your Richard and David?

If that makes any sense...

Allie

Hi Alex

Good luck in your research.

I believe your particuar branch of the Eddy family originated in Gulval, Cornwall. Incidentally the photo of Ann Eddy, standing in the doorway of her thatched cottage, in "Cornishmen and Kiwis" was supplied by myself.

Rob

Well Allie,

You are a wealth of info :D

It's all about on the money! only bits you were slightly off the mark with were, I have Walter as born 1906, but thats unproven by me personally, and that Walter and Margaret were in fact Richard and Davids Adopted brother (originally born as Nephew) and sister respectivly.

I'm sure with all of this info floating around, I must be able to pin down some service info Richard.

Also at Irwell school we have:

Alfred William Eddy

Allan George Eddy

Aneta Nelsie Eddy

Laura Eddy DOB 1 Jul 1895

Molly Eddy DOB 11 Sept 1897

I was going to suggest that maybe Richard had a middle name because all the others did - but then I came across Laura and Molly. So there goes that theory!

Allie

Allie,

I guess I will have to toil away at the investigation on Richard, I'm sure some thing will come to light, probably when I least expect it.

This has brought about one of those fantastic events, that makes this sort of research so rewarding.

We have discovered that RFT (Rob) from this string, is actually a relation of my wife.

They have now exchanged some messages between each other, and found that my wife's grandfather who lives locally, has actually met Rob.

As my wife's messages are titled, What a small world!

I love this sort of result!

Little bit more to add to the puzzle.

I was talking the one of Richards sons today, he's my wife's grandfather, and it was his 85th birthday yesterday.

Gowan confirmed that his father Richard didn't have a middle name, and that he was aware of the other Richard Eddy with the middle name of John, and recounted a story about how this other Richard Eddy ran for office in the government some time after the war, and Gowan was asked a lot at this time if it was his father.

Also he said that Richard, David, a Les Stace, and one other, who all got around together at the time of WW1, all signed up, and shipped out at the same time, but Richard only got as far as Sydney, before being sent back.

So I will have to see what info I can get for Richard Eddy 23/414, if his DOB and other details line up at the NZ archives.

Hopefully still more of the puzzle will come to light.

Also RLT, we passed on your message to Gowan today, and he was rapt that we had been in touch with you, he says hello in return, and recounted to us that he remembers you and your wife as really nice people.